Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

uh oh... might have pinched a boot... is that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daniel420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question uh oh... might have pinched a boot... is that bad?

I was replacing my front prake pads and when I was pressing that caliper cup back with a c-clamp and I might have pinched that black rubber boot that surrounds the cup. Is that bad? will my brakes leak or something? Is there a chance something could break in a high-braking situation.

I don't know if the rubber boot was punctured all the way, but it was definately pinched.

Does anyone know if this means I should replace the whole caliper?
Old 05-03-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I think it is a dust boot. It would depend on if it actually cut or not.
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

I'm not sure if it is cut. It was pinched and it made a little mark in the rubber. There is a good chance it is punctured, but I can't really tell anymore. I pushed the boot back in place... so now I can't really see it anymore. (it all folded up along the side of the cup like it's supposed to be.)

Is there a way to manually extend that cup so I can look at the dust boot again?
Old 05-03-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Daniel420
I was replacing my front prake pads and when I was pressing that caliper cup back with a c-clamp and I might have pinched that black rubber boot that surrounds the cup. Is that bad? will my brakes leak or something? Is there a chance something could break in a high-braking situation.

I don't know if the rubber boot was punctured all the way, but it was definately pinched.

Does anyone know if this means I should replace the whole caliper?

Are you talking about a cv boot? If it's ripped, you should replace it asap.

And your sig. took ~5 minutes to load...
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by blouisgod
Are you talking about a cv boot? If it's ripped, you should replace it asap.

And your sig. took ~5 minutes to load...
I don't think he is talking about the cv boot. The rubber boot that surrounds the cylinder that presses against the pad in the caliper. One in my Accord ripped, from drying out, and I thought brake fluid was going to come out and it didn't. It's been about 3 years and still no leak. I don't know if that is a seal, or like the other person said, a dust cover.
Old 05-03-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
It would not hold fluid. It is not sealed.

I would be careful trying to get it back out or you could have a disaster in the making.
Old 05-03-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CraigW
It would not hold fluid. It is not sealed.

I would be careful trying to get it back out or you could have a disaster in the making.
ASSUMING hes talking about the dust boot , pinching it will have zero direct effect on the caliper leaking fluid. Although over time it may allow dirt and gryme to enter the caliper and cause premature caliper faliure Now even if it were a small hole on the dust boot i wouldnt be terrified of driving the car. Ive seen MANY cars/trucks with next to NO dust boot remaing and have driven MANY miles on the car with it like that and have never had a failure. but then again , murphys law................
Old 05-04-2005
Registered!!

ok... it must be a dust boot. I'm not going to try to extend it back out...
Thanks for the advice everyone