Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Why am I warping??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dazdncnfusd is an unknown quantity at this point
Why am I warping??

Here's the deal, I am getting rid of my 2nd set of OEM rotors/brake pads this weekend since my rotors are warped.....I have 95000 miles and I don't drive the car hard, only every now and then....I don't know if its normal for me to be on my 3rd set of rotors already but I don't think it is....im replacing the OEM with Brembo banks and axxis pads since everything I read indicated they are better than OEM....I need opinions on whether the warping was possibly due to crappy OEM equipment or if there could be something else wrong up front???? I also warped the first set after mistakenly putting semi metallics pad on, don't know if that would cause anything but I just wanna give the entire background here.
Old 10-15-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
you don't need to get rid of your rotors everytime they're warped ... just get this resurfaced at any car shop (ie. pep boys)

warped rotors are caused by excessive braking (heat), or water touching the hot brakes ... to my knowledge.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
how do you brake, do you ride on them softly, and then brake hard? i just try to maintain consistant pedal pressure when braking and my rotors have 30k with no probs. it is a 5spd though as well.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

dazdncnfusd is an unknown quantity at this point
I was going to get them machined but the Brembos were cheap as hell so it's no big deal.....I brake with pretty constant pressue and I have a 5spd as well so I do downshift in combination with the braking.
Old 10-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
OEM rotors just flat out suck. I cracked the hell out of mine. Brembos, even with track usage, show no signs of abnormal wear. But, if you ride brakes like grandma, anything will warp.
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
i never ride my brakes and i have been through 2 sets of oem rotors because of warpage and brake vibration. i have a set of brembo slottted and drilled now and its the same shizz. i am getting ready to go to the aem bigger rotor hoping that the warping is caused by the larger wheels(18") and the larger rotor will fix that
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
Originally Posted by familycar
i never ride my brakes and i have been through 2 sets of oem rotors because of warpage and brake vibration. i have a set of brembo slottted and drilled now and its the same shizz. i am getting ready to go to the aem bigger rotor hoping that the warping is caused by the larger wheels(18") and the larger rotor will fix that
oh yeah 01 sedan 54k miles
Old 07-08-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Most "warping" is acutally an un-even build up of pad meterial on the rotors surface.... its actutally exceptionally hard to Warp a rotor. What pads are you using?
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

i am using a pretty hard pad they are lifetime pads. before i was using stock honda pads. over toghtening the lugs can also warp the rotors. i always make sure to trq mine down to spec to make sure its not the tightening that is warping them. but i still get it. its from the 18's the brakes are having to work too hard to stop such a big radius. that is why i am going ot the aem rotors i igure its the next best hing to a full rotor and caliper set.
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

EX4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't want warp rotors? Then do proper break-in and perform proper seasoning. Go to any of the brake manufacturer's website for info. on how to do it. Baer, Stop-Tech, ...etc. If you don't do any of these procedures, then you'll get warp rotor sooner or later no matter what brand of rotors you have.
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Uneven torque is also a cause of warped rotors, you should always tighten your lugs to 80 pounds using a torque wrench.
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

i am very aware on how to break in new parts incl. brakes. but thanks. i appreicate all you guys help
Old 07-10-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
check the run-out of the hub( the surface that the brake rotor seats against) with a dial indicator if its beyond .003" this may be the cause of your repeated returning pedal pulsations