Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Warped front rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Warped front rotors.

2001 LX 5MT

No wobbles, alignment or balance issues. Tight front end, new struts, compliance bushings, ball joints and end links since April '14.

I replaced rotors with Pep Boys Pro Stop platinum this past April. When I lightly apply the brakes above 60 mph I can feel the pulsing common to warped rotors.

Should I have them turned or replace them?
Old 08-11-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Warped front rotors.

Might not be the rotor. Did you clean and grease your slide pins? Put grease on back of pads and on metal retaining clips?

Rotors should have a warranty, might be able to return them. May have gotten a bad one.
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by GolNat
Might not be the rotor. Did you clean and grease your slide pins? Put grease on back of pads and on metal retaining clips?

Rotors should have a warranty, might be able to return them. May have gotten a bad one.
Yes, fair point, I did clean and lube the caliper pins, back of pads and retaining clips.

The warranty was up at 90 days. I talked to Pep Boys on the phone and its unclear if they're going to charge me for turning the rotors.

I figure if I get them turned they may just continue to warp and I'll be dealing with this problem again in 4 months. I was thinking I might just save some trouble and replace them.
Old 08-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the face of the hub has rust on it it can cause the rotor to not sit flat and it will eventually exhibit the same symptom as warp, and it will cause warp.

The other day I found this on a 8th gen with 250k on the clock. I had to knock all 10 studs out of the front hubs to get the hub faces cleaned completely free of rust, clean all the rust out of his fairly new rotors, then resurface the rotors using the on-car lathe.
Old 08-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If the face of the hub has rust on it it can cause the rotor to not sit flat and it will eventually exhibit the same symptom as warp, and it will cause warp.

The other day I found this on a 8th gen with 250k on the clock. I had to knock all 10 studs out of the front hubs to get the hub faces cleaned completely free of rust, clean all the rust out of his fairly new rotors, then resurface the rotors using the on-car lathe.
Name:  download_20150812_195313_zpspdy7nu3b.jpg
Views: 2718
Size:  178.9 KB
Old 08-12-2015
Registered!!

Here on the southern Virginia coast winters are gentle and rust & corrosion usually aren't an issue.

Is a warping rotors a sign of bad brake lines? It did appear that my brake fluid reservoir was a little above the full line.

Should I consider it an anomaly for now or should I investigate further?
Old 08-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like some rust there, maybe not a bunch but some. From the pic I can't tell if it's just discolored or if there is scale buildup.
Does the inside surface of the rotor hub (the 'hat') have rust in the same place?

Is a warping rotors a sign of bad brake lines?
I'd probably look for dragging brakes first.......check brake temperatures after a ride -- see if there is one wheel that's a whole bunch hotter than the others.

Brake hoses have not been a problem in my corner of the planet. I see more calipers bad than hoses.

It did appear that my brake fluid reservoir was a little above the full line.
Not a problem IMO as long as it's not filled to the top.

Other stuff that can cause pulsation
Contaminants
Rust spots
Uneven brake pad material transfer
Disc thickness variation

Low quality rotors?
Old 08-13-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

They have a 3 year warranty.
Bring your receipt and have this video loaded up on your phone..play it for the manager and tell him you want new rotors.

Clean hubs with brake cleaner and small wire brush to remove rust... concentrate cleaning around the studs too. Brake fluid/full bleed replacement is recommended every three years.
Here's a good link on rotors: http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=1787
Old 08-13-2015
Registered!!

UPDATE: Thanks a lot turd_ferguson & ezone! GolNat nailed it, it was a slide pin issue.

I removed the rotors last night after work. I dropped them off at Pep Boys to be turned.
Then I returned home with some new pads and began cleaning the calipers and doing prep to reassemble when the rotors were finished. That's when I found a pin problem.

On the right side I found the upper caliper pin was not sliding free (pin "A" 45235-S01-A01, the one with the nipple tip on the end) . I thoroughly cleaned the pin and the caliper bracket. I used plenty of synthetic caliper lube too. The rubber boots are in good shape.

The hubs are smooth and I cleaned them with a wire brush and some fine emory cloth. The back of the rotors were clean and rust free. That is a good tip to check those surfaces. The picture in my earlier post is before I cleaned it.

Pep Boys took care me. They turned the rotors at a discounted price. I'm honest and I couldn't fault the rotors knowing its a slide pin problem. They were going to charge me $30, but I asked nicely if they could give me a discount since I'm a loyal customer, and they did.

I picked them up after work today and the guy who turned them was gone for the day. But the pulsing pedal was very faint and I could only feel it above 60mph, so I don't think they had to shave off much to get them true.

I got everything installed tonight and took it for a test drive. Smooth and quiet!

It was fairly dark and I didn't want to get my phone filthy, so I didn't take pictures, sorry.
I did the brakes all the way around in April 2014 when I first bought the car. I thought I cleaned and lubed all the caliper parts. I must not have done a very good job on the pin that was a problem. I lubed things and hit them with a wire brush back in April, but I didn't notice the pin wasn't sliding freely. My fault. Take your time and inspect everything, do it better than I did!
Thanks for the replies. I hope this helps other folks.
Old 08-13-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Good to hear you found and fixed the issue. I purchased the same rotors about 2k miles ago and they seem good so far..quiet, stop well. I remember the salesperson said they have a three year (limited) warranty.