Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

How often do I change Rear Drum Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004
Video Game & Movie Whore!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlvrLx26 will become famous soon enough
Question How often do I change Rear Drum Brakes?

I went to My Honda Dealership for an oil change yesterday and asked if they could check my rear brakes. They told me that they wouldn't have time on Saturday's. I wanna know how often they need to be replaced. I've had it since Jan 2002 and it has 27000 miles on it! Either way I purchased them! And if I have to is it going to be difficult to remove the two rear drums? All comments welcome!
Old 09-13-2004
mig
Registered!!

mig is an unknown quantity at this point
I doubt you'd need to replace your rear shoes at 27K. Most of the lining wear occurs on the front pads. I upgraded my front and rear brake linings(porterfield) at about 35K, and the factory rears were still fine. If you're hearing squealing from the wear indicators in the rears, then that's another matter.
Old 09-13-2004
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
rear brakes are good for a long time. Most braking is usually handled by the fronts.
Old 09-13-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Agreed, you won't need to do them for quite a while... unless you do autox or open track events where you are using your brakes alot. In these situations you should be inspecting your brakes front and rear before you attend the event. Just keep an eye on them and listen for the squeal letting you know they're worn down.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
Agreed, you won't need to do them for quite a while... unless you do autox or open track events where you are using your brakes alot. In these situations you should be inspecting your brakes front and rear before you attend the event. Just keep an eye on them and listen for the squeal letting you know they're worn down.
Drum brakes do not squeal when they are worn. You will get the brake shoe grinding into the drum without warning. This is why you must periodically remove the drum to measure the lining.
Old 09-13-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
what? we have rear drums? why did my car come with rear discs?
Old 09-13-2004

04exvic has a spectacular aura about04exvic has a spectacular aura about04exvic has a spectacular aura about
two to three break pad lives
Old 09-13-2004
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HondaLuver

lol
Old 09-13-2004
Video Game & Movie Whore!

SlvrLx26 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mig
I doubt you'd need to replace your rear shoes at 27K. Most of the lining wear occurs on the front pads. I upgraded my front and rear brake linings(porterfield) at about 35K, and the factory rears were still fine. If you're hearing squealing from the wear indicators in the rears, then that's another matter.
I didn't think there were wear indicators in the rear and are the drum's hard to take off what tool's do I need ?
Old 09-14-2004
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
The rear drums are fairly easy to remove. Take off the wheel and then you'll see a threaded hole in the hub of the brake drum. Find a screw with the right thread and slowly thread it into the hole. The brake drum will begin backing itself off and become loose (make sure you don't have the e-brake on!). Remove the drum and measure the lining.
Old 09-14-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice

don't be braggin
Old 09-15-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
THe last vehicle I had with rear drums when they got low they squealed and squeaked like mad then got real nasty metal on metal sounding until I had them changed. Just goin based on that.
Old 09-20-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Are the rear drum brakes something you can just clean with brake cleaner once in a while or do they even need to be cleaned? If so, what needs cleaned? I am not familiar with drums brakes at all. Can't you tell??

Hey, I don't see a DIY on drum brakes. How about someone make one!? (with photos!) Unless there is one, I didn't find it...

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2004
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
must be a special edition thing with these civics
Old 09-23-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SlvrLx26
I didn't think there were wear indicators in the rear and are the drum's hard to take off what tool's do I need ?

Almost ever tool rental shop will be able to rent you what's called a drum puller tool. The screw mentioned above works, but I swear by the puller thing.

That's one type... the type i got did same think, cept it looked like a big C