Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   How often do I change Rear Drum Brakes? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/173190-how-often-do-i-change-rear-drum-brakes.html)

SlvrLx26 09-13-2004 12:21 AM

How often do I change Rear Drum Brakes?

I went to My Honda Dealership for an oil change yesterday and asked if they could check my rear brakes. They told me that they wouldn't have time on Saturday's. I wanna know how often they need to be replaced. I've had it since Jan 2002 and it has 27000 miles on it! Either way I purchased them! And if I have to is it going to be difficult to remove the two rear drums? All comments welcome!

mig 09-13-2004 09:38 AM

I doubt you'd need to replace your rear shoes at 27K. Most of the lining wear occurs on the front pads. I upgraded my front and rear brake linings(porterfield) at about 35K, and the factory rears were still fine. If you're hearing squealing from the wear indicators in the rears, then that's another matter.

MrWong 09-13-2004 10:27 AM

rear brakes are good for a long time. Most braking is usually handled by the fronts.

alienmeatsack 09-13-2004 10:57 AM

Agreed, you won't need to do them for quite a while... unless you do autox or open track events where you are using your brakes alot. In these situations you should be inspecting your brakes front and rear before you attend the event. Just keep an eye on them and listen for the squeal letting you know they're worn down.

tacheon 09-13-2004 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
Agreed, you won't need to do them for quite a while... unless you do autox or open track events where you are using your brakes alot. In these situations you should be inspecting your brakes front and rear before you attend the event. Just keep an eye on them and listen for the squeal letting you know they're worn down.

Drum brakes do not squeal when they are worn. You will get the brake shoe grinding into the drum without warning. This is why you must periodically remove the drum to measure the lining.

HondaLuver 09-13-2004 07:58 PM

what? we have rear drums? why did my car come with rear discs?

04exvic 09-13-2004 08:05 PM

two to three break pad lives

xRiCeBoYx 09-13-2004 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by HondaLuver

:nono:

lol

SlvrLx26 09-13-2004 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mig
I doubt you'd need to replace your rear shoes at 27K. Most of the lining wear occurs on the front pads. I upgraded my front and rear brake linings(porterfield) at about 35K, and the factory rears were still fine. If you're hearing squealing from the wear indicators in the rears, then that's another matter.

I didn't think there were wear indicators in the rear and are the drum's hard to take off what tool's do I need ?

Intruder 09-14-2004 05:25 PM

The rear drums are fairly easy to remove. Take off the wheel and then you'll see a threaded hole in the hub of the brake drum. Find a screw with the right thread and slowly thread it into the hole. The brake drum will begin backing itself off and become loose (make sure you don't have the e-brake on!). Remove the drum and measure the lining.

tripledoublegs 09-14-2004 06:53 PM

don't be braggin :D

alienmeatsack 09-15-2004 01:19 PM

THe last vehicle I had with rear drums when they got low they squealed and squeaked like mad then got real nasty metal on metal sounding until I had them changed. Just goin based on that.

UltimateWarrior 09-20-2004 08:32 PM

Are the rear drum brakes something you can just clean with brake cleaner once in a while or do they even need to be cleaned? If so, what needs cleaned? I am not familiar with drums brakes at all. Can't you tell?? ;)

Hey, I don't see a DIY on drum brakes. How about someone make one!? (with photos!) Unless there is one, I didn't find it...

Thanks!

dragoon 09-21-2004 07:52 PM

must be a special edition thing with these civics :rofl:

4jacks 09-23-2004 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SlvrLx26
I didn't think there were wear indicators in the rear and are the drum's hard to take off what tool's do I need ?

Almost ever tool rental shop will be able to rent you what's called a drum puller tool. The screw mentioned above works, but I swear by the puller thing.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...small/1255.gif

That's one type... the type i got did same think, cept it looked like a big C