Interior Post your questions about interior parts here! Seats, consoles, etc

Sticky/Jerking Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadie75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Sticky/Jerking Steering

I have been scrolling the internet for this exact issue. I purchased a 2022 Civic on 3/24/23. I’ve had 4 other Honda’s in the past so I didn’t have a doubt that they were good cars. While going on my test drive, I noticed the sticking and jerking and thought that the Lane Keep Assist or Driver’s Assist was activated. I mentioned to my salesman that, that was definitely going to have to be turned off! It’s a very simple thing to disengage so before I left the dealership with my new car, I turned all of it off.
On my way home, on the interstate, it was the most terrifying drive I have ever had, AND it was also raining! My husband and I were in the car for about an hour once I got home after telling him what was going on. He drove the car that night and his exact words were “well this is an expensive death trap”! Hie is very physically fit, I only make this point because he was also having noticeable trouble keeping the car in lane at speed. Again he said “how the hell did you drive this down the road?”
I called the dealership on Saturday, they could not see me until Monday. I took the car in, they gave me a loaner. I was told that it was going to take 2-3 weeks to get a new Steering Rack in, that Honda agreed to have it replaced. He also said that he couldn’t say whether or not it would correct the issue, as they had no idea what was causing this to happen. About a week later, I receive a text from them saying I needed to come drop off the loaner and pick up my car. I was so frustrated and expressed that the car is NOT safe to drive, he assured that it was and that 3 other technicians (in addition to himself) drove the car and “could not duplicate the issue”. There are no codes being shown and the car is “driving as expected! He then told me that it could be July 2023 but right now there is no ETA on the part.
Interestingly enough, after reading over the invoice when I returned home my husband noticed the “mileage in” and “mileage out” were exactly the same, so no one drove the car except from the bay to the parking area outside of the bay, which is approximately 15 feet. I explained to them several times that it is much more noticeable at speeds over 50, he then asked if I would maybe be more comfortable driving on a secondary road as the speed limit is within a safe range for me to drive!! I told him that, I travel the interstate to and from work 5 days a week, I shouldn’t have to even consider this to be SAFER in a brand new car!
I have contacted Honda Corporate directly, filed complaints through their website and I currently have an active case number through Honda and NHTSA. I have read so many forums with all of the same issues; is it going to have to take someone getting injured or dying for them to correct this? Driving on any major highway is dangerous enough with a normal functioning car, this is such a sad representation of one of the most popular vehicles sold.
Please advise others to file their complaints with the NHTSA, especially if they have received the same treatment I did having gone back to the Dealership.