Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

AC not working 2010 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VocalFrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Question AC not working 2010 Civic

As I turned on my A/C for the first hot days a few months ago I noticed I was only getting hot air blowing out the vents.

I took it to a shop to see if I needed a recharge or if something more serious was wrong. They told me there was no refrigerant and that there was most likely a leak.

So, being the amateur DIY'er that I am, I bought an A/C Pro (R-134a) A/C Recharge Kit, the one with the sealant additive to hopefully seal up the leak. I recharged the A/C and got the cold air blowing again.

However, now the A/C will only work for a little bit and then the air goes hot again. I am able to get cool (not cold) air after the car has been off for awhile but it only lasts for about 15 minutes before the hot air comes back.

Did I overcharge the A/C? Iced over evaporator? The cabin air filter is brand new. Any thoughts???

Old 05-31-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC not working 2010 Civic

However, now the A/C will only work for a little bit and then the air goes hot again. I am able to get cool (not cold) air after the car has been off for awhile but it only lasts for about 15 minutes before the hot air comes back.
At that point it quits cooling you need to get out, open the hood and observe if the compressor is actually running or not (meaning is the clutch engaged, or not), and tell us if the radiator fans are both running or not.

Do you have an AC manifold gauge set?

Old 06-01-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

At that point it quits cooling you need to get out, open the hood and observe if the compressor is actually running or not (meaning is the clutch engaged, or not), and tell us if the radiator fans are both running or not.

Do you have an AC manifold gauge set?

Thank you so much!!! I will do exactly what you said and reply back with whether or not the compressor is actually running as well as the radiator fans. The A/C refill can I bought does have a pressure gauge for the low pressure port, but I do not have an A/C manifold gauge set (for the high pressure port). Will I need one?
Old 06-07-2019
Registered!!

Okay, so when my A/C quit cooling I got out, opened the hood and checked out the compressor and the radiator fans. The fans are running fine but it looks like the pulley assembly is spinning but the clutch plate is not spinning.

So, that appears to be the problem, right? Bad compressor?
Old 06-07-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

cluch gap too large, easy fix, remove a shim from the clutch
Old 06-07-2019
Registered!!

Awesome! Thank you!!!