Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

2010 honda civic AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
2010 honda civic AC issues

I got intermittent AC. 2010 LX 100k miles.

When I go long trips, AC stops , fan kinda blows not as fast/.. Warm air.

I think the issues is HVAC control unit. To my research as of yet points to that. By the symptoms.

Haven't pulled the codes but I will do that today to see if anything is stored. The codes for the Control unit? are these blinks, I thought I saw somewhere how to count those on this forum.
unless my scanner can read them.

other thing is odd AC compressor cycles all the time.. Even if AC button is not ON.

Now does this have to be only when you have it defrost to front windows?
OR does not matter its meant to cycle on non stop to defrost the air?

The last thing I wanted to check is the Air Gap on the compressor clutch?
I know there is shims there to remove. whats it suppose to be at?

Thermal switch relay I doubt it is.. Because it works most of the time, unless I take a long trip, and decided to quit.
Anyway to test the ****er. whats the odds works and not works? its a relay
Old 05-31-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 honda civic AC issues

other thing is odd AC compressor cycles all the time.. Even if AC button is not ON.
AC is enabled when controls are in either windshield position with the fan on. No pilot light to let you know the AC is on, it's a default operation. .

Now if you have all hvac controls and fan turned OFF but the AC compressor is still operating, that's probably a bad hvac panel. Uplug it and see if the compressor finally turns off.

The last thing I wanted to check is the Air Gap on the compressor clutch?
Good possibility the gap is too large. When this happens the usual symptom is the AC works for a while (until the compressor and clutch gets hot) then the clutch quits engaging ......until it gets cool again.
When this happens you will see the radiator fans still running like usual, and if you use a tool (broomstick handle?) to push on the outer ring of the clutch toward the pulley it will engage again for a short while.

Also relay issues are always possible and may be varied in symptoms depending on how it fails. Tap on the clutch relay several times and see if the clutch engages.

Observing the radiator fan operation is critical to figuring out AC problems here. If the fans are NOT kicking on when you try to run the AC then I need to go a completely different direction, so let me know.
I can explain why later LOL

Last edited by ezone; 05-31-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

I will double check on this?
it only happens when I drive the car for few hours straight.. how often do you do that..
kinda hard to replicate.

What about my vibration post? any ideas there.. **** this thing got some gremlins got me puzzled

running out of ideas.
Old 06-09-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

it only happens when I drive the car for few hours straight
I guess you'll have to make observations next time it quits and go from there

If fans are found to be still running (with ac turned on), I'd suspect the issue should be limited to clutch/coil/relay areas
If fans are NOT running I'd suspect the thermal protector went open circuit

Of course there are always other possibilities but these would be my first suspicions based on what I've read so far