Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

Ac compressor always on

Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xander_rg is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Ac compressor always on

I have a civic dx 07. When I put the switch in on the two fans turn on and when turn on the the ac compressor is on and I can't turn off. I turn off the ac button but the compressor don't turn off. I can't turn off the compressor and in few minutes frozen the lines. Somebody know why?
Old 08-04-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Ac compressor always on

The ac compressor dehumidifies the air so it doesn't fog up the windows. Honda made it so you cant turn it off on the defrost mode. There is an override though if you do these steps-

1. Turn car on.
2. Turn temperature **** all the way cold and turn the fan **** to off.
3. Put vent location to "face"
4. Turn car off
5. Hold down the Recirculation Button and the A/C Button.
6. Hold down both buttons and turn the key all the way to the on position.
7. Keep both buttons depressed until one of the lights blink a few times, then you get a solid green light once the change has been made. Then let go.
8. See if it works by putting the fan on in Defrost. You should see the A/C light turn on and you should be able to turn it off.
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

2002 Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar problem but I am not in defrost mode, a/c switch is off (no light) and the compressor is on blowing cold air? Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix? My car is a 02 Civic LX.

Last edited by 2002 Civic; 05-14-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2002 Civic
I have a similar problem but I am not in defrost mode, a/c switch is off (no light) and the compressor is on blowing cold air? Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix? My car is a 02 Civic LX.
It's gonna require some work to figure out exactly why the system is keeping the compressor engaged.

Gimme some observations first:
Dash controls set to vents, AC switch is off, and blower fan is off (everything OFF)

Compressor is still engaged?
Do both radiator fans also continue running?
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Thank you for replying even though I put this under the wrong generation and sorry for doing that. If all controls are off then its not engaged. If I turn on the fan just for outside air on upper, upper/lower it engages and runs even if you don't push the a/c button. Not totally sure about the radiator fans as I just had the radiator replaced and they had that problem but fixed it with them running all the time.
Old 05-14-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If I turn on the fan just for outside air on upper, upper/lower
OH ok I think I get what you're saying now.

The AC is supposed to operate in all defrost positions, by default.
The light in the ac button does NOT illuminate during default operation unless you push the button.
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
OH ok I think I get what you're saying now.

The AC is supposed to operate in all defrost positions, by default.
The light in the ac button does NOT illuminate during default operation unless you push the button.

I am not in defrost mode only face mode, or face/feet mode with the a/c off and its still on and the compressor is engaged.
Old 05-14-2018

Oh, you said upper so I though that meant defrost.

Ok......

Remove the HVAC control panel (dials) and unplug the 14 cavity connector. Run the engine and see if disconnecting the control panel shuts off the compressor.

If it shuts off, bad control panel
If it keeps running, the problem is elsewhere
Old 05-15-2018

Wait, I reread that again.....unplug the set of 3 switches first, I expect no change occurs to the compressor operation

then unplug the control panel
Old 05-24-2018
Registered!!

Replaced the heater control assy (set of 3 dials) and problem solved. Pulled apart the old heater control and saw the arc/burnt spot that ruined it. Ended up getting the part from a junk yard since Honda wanted $330 for the part new. Thank you for helping even though I was in the wrong generation of hondas when I started the post.
Old 04-26-2019
Registered!!

Chuck Yaunk is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem, a/c clutch was constantly running no matter what controls were set at. Replaced the in dash control unit (piece with all the buttons) just a few minutes ago and it is now working like it should. Took about 55 minutes.
Old 06-10-2019
Registered!!

tdwpgtp is an unknown quantity at this point

So I have the same issue in my wife's 05 civic...for 2 years...our local trusted mechanic cannot figure it out. The A/C works fine sometimes, but then randomly other times it turns on by itself, sometimes staying on for a while, sometimes cycling on and off at random intervals. We have replaced the relay several times with known working ones, the mechanic said he traced the wiring where it was visible looking for shorts and checked continuity. We replaced the main computer, thinking it was sending ground when it shouldn't. None of these things have fixed the problem. I tried unplugging the control panel while it was running, and it did not change anything. What do I do next? This is driving me mad. The damn thing will run until the coil freezes over and no air can blow through. I almost beat the dash with a hammer today in frustration
Old 11-05-2020
Registered!!

misafasheti is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chuck Yaunk
I had the same problem, a/c clutch was constantly running no matter what controls were set at. Replaced the in dash control unit (piece with all the buttons) just a few minutes ago and it is now working like it should. Took about 55 minutes.
Hey Chuck,

Mine is doing the same thing, but the compressor stays on even if I have the fan setting to OFF. As in, everything is supposed to be off and the compressor keeps running. Is that what was happening to you?

Thanks,

Miguel