Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

radiater fan, ac-heater-defrost not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kelli81 is an unknown quantity at this point
radiater fan, ac-heater-defrost not working

I am hopeing to find some help here. As I cannot afford to put my car in a shop. So it started out with the engine getting hot when I would be driving in town, but then on the freeway it would cool down. My husband took the car over to his step dads and they put some of that liquid glass stuff into the radiater. That same day I got on The freeway to go get my daughter from school and the overheating was way worse. It just instantly got hot. even though I was on the freeway , but after it got almost to the red it would cool back down to the halfway. I then had my husband go intall a new themostat. a failsafe one. It worked the first day but after a day it went back to doing the same exact thing. Getting hot in town but cooling on the freeway. When I told my husband that the car was acting that way again he told me that they had put MORE of that liquid glass stuff in the radiater when they put on the new thermostat as well. I was a little frustrated to hear that because of the fact it made things worse the last time. We then discovered that the radiater fan was not working at all but the ac fan was. I found a thread on hear from sombody who was having similar problems and they were told to replace the fan relay motor. I passed this information on to my husband and so he went back to his stepdads and rather then changing that they decided to change out the heat sensors. Niether fixed the fan and somhow in the process somthing happened and now neither the ac-heater or defroter will turn on at all Now my husband is going to get the relay that I origanally asked him to and hope it fixes the fan but now what about the ac-heater -defroster that doesnt do anything?? He says they Checked all the fuses.. Anybody have any suggestions??
Old 12-11-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: radiater fan, ac-heater-defrost not working

Maybe its the fan switch... make sure the blades on both fans spin freely and arent stuck on anything. The fan brings cool air past the radiator to cool the coolant... when the fans dont work, the radiator doesnt cool and you overheat. When you go on the highway, air goes through the radiator just as if the fans were on, and the coolant is cooled, so your car appears to be doing fine.

When you say liquid glass, do you mean 50/50 coolant/water mixture?
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kelli81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Maybe its the fan switch... make sure the blades on both fans spin freely and arent stuck on anything. The fan brings cool air past the radiator to cool the coolant... when the fans dont work, the radiator doesnt cool and you overheat. When you go on the highway, air goes through the radiator just as if the fans were on, and the coolant is cooled, so your car appears to be doing fine.

When you say liquid glass, do you mean 50/50 coolant/water mixture?
No its that stuff you put in to fix leaks. Like Stop Leak bit my husband says it better then stop leak. Oh and He changed the fan relay yeaterday and that diddnt work either.
Old 12-12-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What year, and body style ??

And concerning the heater, is the blower fan inside the car not working ??

Last edited by CraigW; 12-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.