Air Conditioning Post Issues about Air Conditioning here

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
coachroy is an unknown quantity at this point
Air Conditioning

I have a 2000 Civic SI(Canadian) D16Y8 VTEC. I just purchased the vehicle and it did not have an AC belt on it. Previous owner said the other one was toast but he never bothered to replace it. I just finished installing a new belt. The belt seems like its been tensioned properly as I can turn the belt 90 degrees and that's it. When I turn the car on the belt just started howling and then smoking. I decided to turn the crank by hand with a ratchet and socket to see if the Idler pulley and AC Compressor were rotating. The pulley was rotating fine but the compressor was not. I checked the fuse under the hood and its fine. Not sure how to check the 2 relays. Does this sound like a possible relay issue or am I looking at installing a new compressor?

Update: previous owner said the AC was working fine last summer but while driving home one night he heard it making a weird noise and when he pulled over and check, he noticed the belt fraying so he cut it off.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by coachroy; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:00 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,150 Likes on 963 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Air Conditioning

Sounds like the compressor locked up
Old 1 Week Ago
Registered!!

Ya that's what it seems like. Wanted to make sure before ordering a new one. Had a buddy whose a mechanic say the same with what I was thinking and I just ordered a new one
Old 1 Week Ago
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,150 Likes on 963 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

You'll want to replace the receiver/dryer, and the orifice tube as well. If there's metal chunks in the system you'll want to flush the lines and probably replace the condenser and evaporator as well.
Old 1 Week Ago
Registered!!

In all honesty, I think it's just the clutch that is the problem but Im just replacing the entire thing instead of just rebuilding. System will be getting fully serviced at my local dealer. You're not wrong about playing it safe and replacing the other parts so who knows, might change my mind and bite the bullet for peace of mind