Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

Vent mode door actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ashescivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Vent mode door actuator

I recently changed the heater core in my gf's 02 civic ex. I got it all put together and the heat is working but only blowing out of the defrost. From my research their is 2 actuators in the dash. One for the blend door which seems to work when you go from a/c to heat. You feel the difference in the air being pushed out. Then theirs a mode door actuator which changes what vents the heat is coming out. I plan to tear into it this weekend again. Just wanting to know if anyone has a part number for the mode door actuator, or anything else that could be wrong with it that I could check while it's all apart.Thanks
Old 12-08-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vent mode door actuator

There are 2 (actually 3 if you count the recirculation motor) motors for the HVAC. The Air Mix Control Motor controls the temperature and the Mode Control Motor that controls the air flow location.

Possible that you forgot to plug the Mode Control Motor back in? Check linkages and doors for smooth operation and repair them if needed. Check the Motor for failure and if needed, use only OEM Honda.

Last edited by NDNV; 12-08-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Here is the procedure to retrieve a DTC from the HVAC system:

The heater control panel has a self-diagnosis function. To run the self diagnosis function, do the following:

1. Turn the fan switch OFF

2. Press and hold the recirculation control switch and the rear window defogger switch down.

3. Turn the ignition switch oN ll

4. Release both switches. The recirculation indicator and the rear window defogger indicator come on. The recirculation indicator goes off 3 seconds later and the A/C indicator comes on. then the self-diagnosis will begin. About 10 seconds later, the self-diagnosis will finish and the A/C indicator goes off.

If any trouble is found. the recirculation indicator blinks the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) to indicate a faulty circuit or component.

If the system is OK, the recirculation indicator stays off.
Here are what the fault codes mean.

7 An open in the air mix controlmotor circuit

8 A short ln the air mix controlmotor circuit

9 A problem in the air mix control linkaqe, door, or motor

10 An open or short in the modecontrolmotor circuit

11 A problem in the modecontrol linkage, doors, or motor

12 A problem in the blower motor circuit

13 A problem in the EEPROM in the heater control panel; the control panel must be replaced

14 An open in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit

15 A short in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit

In case of multiple problems, the recirculation indicator will indicate only the DTC with the least number of blinks.

In case of an intermittent failure, the heater control panel will store the DTC until the ignition is turned off.
Old 12-08-2020
Registered!!

I plan to take the dash apart and hook the HVAC controls up so I can see everything function while I play with the dials. I dont claim to be a mechanic. Will I need a diagnostic hooked up to the car to the codes?
Old 12-08-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

What NDNV mentioned is a self diagnostic mode, no tester needed. Just follow the steps and count the flashing lights.
Old 12-08-2020
Registered!!

Thanks.