Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

2004 civic will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrogers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 civic will not start

Last night I went to start my 04 civic and nothing happened. The dashboard lit up for a split second and then cut off. I figured the battery died so I got a new one, installed it but the same thing happened, but now at least all the lights will come on and stay on in accessory but as soon as I try to actually start it, it cuts off again and will not start. If I try to start it again right away, only the oil and brake lights come on. I'm not sure if it's the starter or maybe the relay but any help would be great, I am not very knowledgeable on cars so if any additional information is needed, please let me know! I do know that when I try to start it, there is a faint ticking sound. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2004 civic will not start

check if alternator bolts are not loose. Veeery common issue on these cars.
Old 01-02-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

it's not terribly hard to remove the starter on these cars, either. If you have a second mode of transportation, pull it and take it to like.. autozone or something to get tested. Alternatively, smack the crap out of it.

What kind of ticking sound is it? Loud single click? rapid fire clicks? How faint?
Old 01-03-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrogers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
it's not terribly hard to remove the starter on these cars, either. If you have a second mode of transportation, pull it and take it to like.. autozone or something to get tested. Alternatively, smack the crap out of it.

What kind of ticking sound is it? Loud single click? rapid fire clicks? How faint?
The ticking is pretty rapid-fire and faint, but only happens the first few times I try to start the car, after that, there are no sounds.