Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Either starts perfectly or cranks only

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Håkon is an unknown quantity at this point
Either starts perfectly or cranks only

Hi! I bought a 2003 Civic hatchback one week ago, but so far it has been nothing but trouble.
When test driving and buying the car it started fine everytime and the previous owner said that he had never had any problems with starting the car. After driving the car home, I let it stand for a couple of hours and when I went to drive it about 6 hours later, it didn't fire up. It cranks for days, but the engine just doesn't start. The morning after I went out to try and find out what was the problem, and it fired right up. No signs of any misfire or anything. I was a bit puzzled but reliefed, and went back inside to eat breakfast and pack. Tried starting it up again about two hours later and same problem. Fooled around with it for an hour before giving up and going back inside. After some time I decided to give it another try and once again, it started perfectly. I drove it to a workshop (was planning to have them change the timing belt and water pump anyways) and asked them to check what the problem could be. Of course it started up everytime they tried starting it over three days. Decided to take it back home rather than change out random parts in hope that it fixes anything. This morning I have the same problem. Started fine everytime yesterday, but today it only cranks.
The fuel pump hums when turning the key, the relay clicks, the timing belt has just been changed, so I really hope the timing isn't the problem. I don't have much tools or experience to work on cars, but I can get some. Do you have any ideas before I hand it over to another workshop? I am a student and would really like to not spend to much money...

Thanks.
(I'm from Norway, so please excuse any flaws in my english)
Old 06-14-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Either starts perfectly or cranks only

Could be the battery.

However, there is a known issue mostly with that generation regarding starting, that is most likely immobilizer based.

Try this. Before starting the engine just let the key sit in the position where all the dash lights are on; Wait 6 seconds and try to start it.

If the starting issue is resolved this way, then it's just something you're going to have to live with.

As of yet I haven't heard of the exact reason this happens, or the fix.
Old 06-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Highly suggest buying a obd reader that provides live data. The Bluetooth versions that sync to app on smartphone are usually quite affordable.

The next time it doesn’t fire up within 2 seconds of cranking, stop cranking and follow flooded engine procedure to see if it starts up after clearing out a possible flooded condition.

Being able to read what coolant temperature the ECU thinks and pressures can help narrow down if it’s a failing sensor issue.
Old 06-17-2019
Registered!!

Well. It's solved, and I feel like an idiot.
When I bought the car, I got two keys with it. I put one of them on my pretty heavy keychain, and left the other one "free". I bet you can guess what's the issue already. Well, the car starts fine with the "free" key, and only cranks with the other. I never thought about the fact that I was using different keys. Everytime I was going somewhere, I used my keychain, but when I was only trying to check the car, I picked the lighter one.
I am relieved, but feel very stupid for not realizing it earlier. The one that doesn't work doesn't even say Honda on it.

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 06-17-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

that blank key may be able to be programmed to the car,
or if there's no chip in it it can be useful to take with you so you dont have to worry about getting wet and you can lock the real key somewhere safe in the car
Old 06-17-2019
Registered!!

That's a good idea!
I'll check if it's possible to program it. Otherwise I will take your advice on using it to unlock the car.