Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lilschema is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help

So I recently bought a 1997 civic dx sedan off a friend, car is great so far, has coilovers, new tires and new wheels, I plan to b series swap it, I’ve been doing so much research and still can decide what trans to put in it, I plan to put the b16a2 engine in it(b16b and b18c1 are too expensive for me) from what I’ve heard it’s quite simple to engine swap but I need to know what trans, I still want a manual obv and not one of their autos, and whichever trans I get will it be simple to mount like the engine? And not require any modifying of the chassis?
Old 12-01-2021
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help

Physically, all B-series transmissions are the same. The only difference is gearing. Best case would be to get the trans from an EM1 (the car the B16A2 is from) because it's geared for the high-revving nature of that engine. Your cheap options would be a trans from a B18B1 integra (that engine and trans combo would be my recommendation) or B20B/B20Z from a CRV. They're geared for more low-end as those engines were torquier, which wouldn't work as well for the B16.

The reading you are doing will tell you how the mounting would work. The chassis does not require modification but aftermarket mounts will be necessary.
Old 12-01-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Physically, all B-series transmissions are the same. The only difference is gearing. Best case would be to get the trans from an EM1 (the car the B16A2 is from) because it's geared for the high-revving nature of that engine. Your cheap options would be a trans from a B18B1 integra (that engine and trans combo would be my recommendation) or B20B/B20Z from a CRV. They're geared for more low-end as those engines were torquier, which wouldn't work as well for the B16.

The reading you are doing will tell you how the mounting would work. The chassis does not require modification but aftermarket mounts will be necessary.
thank you for the suggestions, is there anywhere I may contact you for any further questions I may have?
Old 12-01-2021
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lilschema
thank you for the suggestions, is there anywhere I may contact you for any further questions I may have?
Feel free to shoot me a PM. Just click my username and it'll give you the option. Or you can just post here.

Last edited by FRSam; 12-01-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

don't hide it in PM, just post in the open.
Old 12-01-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
don't hide it in PM, just post in the open.
alright well my main other questions I have is what kind of setup can I look to obtain for about 6-7k this is my first project car and I want something decently reliable and pretty damn fast (not talking like 10’s on the strip tho) it’s my first project and I’m willing to spend months and months on it, any help or suggestions I could get would be amazing
Old 12-02-2021
Click Here

I’d start with at stage 0. Do some reading if you don’t know what that is.

A T3/T4 setup on stock internals on 10-12 psi I think would net you in the 250whp range (I’m using a B18B as a benchmark). With that light a chassis, that should get you in the low 13’s, I would think.. A good setup will run you a few grand. I’d spend the rest on good brakes and tires (and good suspension depending on what it has now), and then you’ll have a cool little street car.

If you want more reliable power, you’ll need to upgrade the engine internals and the clutch. All of this info is already online, though.
Old 12-02-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
I’d start with at stage 0. Do some reading if you don’t know what that is.

A T3/T4 setup on stock internals on 10-12 psi I think would net you in the 250whp range. With that light a chassis, that should get you in the low 13’s, I would think.. A good setup will run you a few grand. I’d spend the rest on good brakes and tires (and good suspension depending on what it has now), and then you’ll have a cool little street car.
car already has coilovers, new wheels and tires but brakes is some for the future as well (pretty good as of now) what can I expect to pay for a complete b16a2 swap with t3/4 kit? And also where would be the best place to buy a used engine and tranny for it (jdm or usdm) I don’t know which is better but yeah where’s the best place that gives decent mileage engines at a decent price?
Old 12-02-2021
Click Here

Just because it has coilovers and new tires doesn’t mean they are good coilovers and tires. I’m talking about getting quality stuff here. Coilovers you may be able to get away with but you sure as hell can’t with tires. Stock civic DX wheels, brakes, and suspension were designed for 100 crank hp, not 300.

I’d look for EM1 Civic Si partouts if you’re set on having a B16A2. That way you should be able to get a solid engine and trans, ECU, wiring harness, etc.

I can’t give you an accurate price on a build for the B16A2 because they’re borderline unobtainable in Canada which was why I recommended the B18B1, plus it’s much, much simpler to find parts for (again, at least in Canada).

B18B1 swap you’d look around $800-$1000 for engine and trans, probably $100 for a junkyard ECU, about $200 for the wiring harness, probably another $200-$300 for mounts, and then I’ll add another $300 for incidentals (timing belt, water pump, coolant, oil change, spark plugs, etc). I’ll round that up to $2000.

As for the turbo, a quality setup plus tuning would probably cost about $3000.

Just for convenience sake, to swap a B16 over a B18, I’ll just add $1000.

I can’t remember if you’d need axles or not, I don’t think you will? Again, all this info is online. If you were researching, I shouldn’t need to be telling you any of this.

Last edited by FRSam; 12-02-2021 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (12-02-2021)