Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Something ain’t right

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh Lovins is an unknown quantity at this point
Something ain’t right

So this is my first Honda 97 dx hatchback d16y7 4 speed automatic....yeah getting a lot of upgrades but the transmission is acting funny, it won’t let me shift out of park with out pushing the special button by the shifter, it’s idling at over 3000rpm and when I do put it into drive it drops to about 1200 rpm I have replaced the shift solenoid, flushed the fluids, replaced the brake switch only after checking all the fuses but when I drive it around the block it slowly stops being in gear and the rpms go back to 3000 and none of the gears are non responsive but if I pull the fuse to the hazard and reset the thing it’s like it didn’t have any issues then slowly comes back any info or tips would be a great help I do all the work myself thank you for your time and knowledge
Old 02-25-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Something ain’t right

You have to push the button to shift out of park, that's standard on basically every car. Or are you not talking about the one on the shifter?

High idle can be caused by a vacuum leak, start there.
Old 02-25-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh Lovins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
You have to push the button to shift out of park, that's standard on basically every car. Or are you not talking about the one on the shifter?

High idle can be caused by a vacuum leak, start there.
not the one at the top but the key hole at the base, I just picked up a new booster since the breaks are spongy feeling and when I press lightly then start the car it doesn’t have any motion no give and no
push back but none the less that wouldn’t affect the idle so I’ll get a can of w-40 and look for the vacuum leak. I did install a 70mm skunk 2 alpha throttle body and a skunk2 pro series intake had lots of extra plugs that were not needed for my car but I’ll start there see if one of them holes need to be plugged. Keep u posted on what I find
Old 02-26-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Josh Lovins
not the one at the top but the key hole at the base
That makes more sense. As far as I know the button on the shifter is physically connected to the shift interlock. I would pull the center console and see if something is broken.

Originally Posted by Josh Lovins
I did install a 70mm skunk 2 alpha throttle body and a skunk2 pro series intake had lots of extra plugs that were not needed for my car but I’ll start there see if one of them holes need to be plugged.
I would think some of those would be vacuum ports that need plugged.