Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.
View Poll Results: Any mechanics
Replace head gasket or engine?
100.00%
Is it worth fixing or to buy a new/used car?
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Having overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kris Brauss is an unknown quantity at this point
Having overheating problems

I just bought a 99 Civic about a week and a half ago, it started out looking like a good car. I’ve replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. But it’s still overheating, found out earlier that it’s the head gasket. Any advice if it’s worth replacing or just get a new engine block🤷‍♂️ I’m new on this and new to working on my car myself. I might just sell it before it gets worse and go with a cavalier lol. Any advice from anyone?
Old 06-12-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,341 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Having Honda problems

Originally Posted by Kris Brauss
I might just sell it before it gets worse and go with a cavalier lol.
Ew....gross

Would you be doing the work yourself of paying a mechanic to do it? If you replace the head gasket yourself and take the head to a machine shop to be checked you're talking around $300 including a new timing belt and water pump. If you take it to someone to have it done I would estimate a good $800. Paying someone to replace the engine with another used one will likely be at least as much as a head gasket replacement. As long as the engine still sounds healthy and didn't overheat to the extreme there's no real reason to replace it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 06-12-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,151 Likes on 964 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Having Honda problems

Welcome, you can also buy a used engine for under $250 and swap it in your driveway
Old 06-12-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,208 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Having overheating problems

Edited title to overheated, from Honda.
coming to a Honda forum and starting off as "Having Honda issues" is like asking for trouble...
Moved thread to correct forums.
Old 06-12-2020
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

go with a cavalier lol.
I might have thrown up in my mouth a little lol Unless it's the Z24 variant. Those can be cool.

Welcome to the forum. An engine swap is not hard to do on these cars and would be pretty cheap. If the rest of the engine is sound and the car is solid I might just replace the hg and move on.
Old 06-12-2020
Click Here

Received 1,161 Likes on 906 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

At least he didn't say Sebring.

If you're looking for a cheap car that isn't Honda for whatever reason, a focus is probably the next best thing. Try to find one with the 2.3 though (timing chain + decent power, but the single or dual cam 2.0's are decent too). Dad's had his '07 ST since brand new and he's done 325k trouble free.

Or take the cheap car fund and B-swap it.
Old 04-21-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondahobag is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a 99 Civic about a week and a half ago, it started out looking like a good car. I’ve replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. But it’s still overheating, found out earlier that it’s the head gasket. Any advice if it’s worth replacing or just get a new engine block🤷‍♂️ I’m new on this and new to working on my car myself. I might just sell it before it gets worse and go with a cavalier lol. Any advice from anyone?
I get that your just a kid and new to car ownership but in the future you'll want to have to ride checked out before exchanging any money. Did you end up getting it all squared away or what?