Electrical Post your Electrical issues here!

Cluster Gauge Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020
Noobie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vepy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cluster Gauge Lights

I'm trying to figure out how to replace the Drive indicator light on a 2000 Honda Civic EX. When I pull the cluster gauge out, there's a white plastic piece over the spot where I need to go. I don't see any obvious tabs to push or pull and I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove it. I just didn't want to force it off and break it or something
Old 09-10-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cluster Gauge Lights

Got a pic? On my 2002, the bulbs were all accessible without taking out the white plastic part.

However, if you look along the edge, should be some tabs you can depress to release it fairly easily. Again, pic would help (along the seam, back of the thing, etc)
Old 09-10-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Been like 2 years since I did mine. there should be tabs or screws that you need to remove
Old 09-12-2020
Noobie

Here is a pic of the part. Do I actually open the gauge up to get to the lights, or do I remove this white plastic part?

Old 09-12-2020
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Oh damn, I thought you were talking about the big white piece on the back. I got nothin for that one. Though, the 3 cutouts on the corners look like they might be key to taking that off, as well as the white tab looking bits where the white plastic cover meets the surface where the ribbon board
Old 09-12-2020

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Take off that white piece, should just be clips/tabs
Old 09-14-2020
Noobie

Originally Posted by Colin42
I've tried to take it off without toooo much force, but it seems to not budge
Old 09-14-2020

Go practice on some ones in the junkyard? It comes off
Old 09-20-2020
Noobie

Originally Posted by Colin42
Ok got them off, there were just tabs where I had to stick a flathead into. Think it was a little bit stuck since I had to use some force. Finally got my bulbs replaced! Just need to find a new bulb for the drive indicator light

The following users liked this post:
xRiCeBoYx (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020
Registered!!

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

Are the gear selection lights bulb-in-socket designs like the rest of them? If so, you could just swap the "Drive" bulb with the "3" or "2" bulb. These bulbs are probably good since they are rarely used.

They may be easy for you to find on amazon or wherever, but when I replaced all my tiny backlight illumination bulbs in my 7th gen I used a place called bulbtown.com . They had all the lights and sockets I needed.
Old 10-04-2020
Noobie

Cluster Shift Light Replacement?

What's the bulb size or where could I get a new bulb for the shift light in the cluster. I know they're about the size of a T5 bulb, but I need to also have the bulb to have long wires and the plastic part to keep it in place. The pic below is the area that I'm talking about.
Old 10-04-2020
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cluster Shift Light Replacement?

Still having problems with that? I thought you got that fixed in your last thread about those lights
Old 10-04-2020
Noobie

Re: Cluster Shift Light Replacement?

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Still having problems with that? I thought you got that fixed in your last thread about those lights
I figured out how to get to it (opening the white shield), and was able to replace a T5 bulb I was wanting to get to, now I just need the drive indicator light bulb
Old 10-05-2020
Registered!!

bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

Did you happen to read my post? Post #10
Old 10-06-2020
Noobie

Originally Posted by bachands
Did you happen to read my post? Post #10
Ah sorry, I didn't see it earlier! What do you mean by "2" or "3" bulb? How would I look that up on something like Amazon?
Old 10-07-2020
Registered!!

What I'm referring to are the drive indicator lights. Your gauge cluster looks a bit different than my 7th gen so let me specify...

The one you want to replace is 'D4'. The 'D3' and '2' lights are rarely on because you rarely have your trans in those gears. The 'D3' and '2' lights are probably good. So you could just swap the bad 'D4' light with either the 'D3' or '2' light. But this depends if the lights are bulb and socket design. You don't have a pic of what the back of the cluster looks like with that white plastic piece removed, so I don't know what kind of lights they are.

If they are the same as the rest of the lights (twist and pull out), you should be able to swap them. If you want to buy new ones, I believe they are called Neo-wedge automotive bulbs. Try www.bulbtown.com
Old 10-08-2020
Noobie

What I'm referring to are the drive indicator lights. Your gauge cluster looks a bit different than my 7th gen so let me specify...

The one you want to replace is 'D4'. The 'D3' and '2' lights are rarely on because you rarely have your trans in those gears. The 'D3' and '2' lights are probably good. So you could just swap the bad 'D4' light with either the 'D3' or '2' light. But this depends if the lights are bulb and socket design. You don't have a pic of what the back of the cluster looks like with that white plastic piece removed, so I don't know what kind of lights they are.

If they are the same as the rest of the lights (twist and pull out), you should be able to swap them. If you want to buy new ones, I believe they are called Neo-wedge automotive bulbs. Try www.bulbtown.com
It seems to be the neo-wedge bulb type. I'll have to take out the cluster again and compare/measure the sizes. But it looks really similar to it, thank you! I'll try to add updates here when I can
Old 10-14-2020
Noobie

Ok, I took it apart again and ended up swapping the bulb from "N". But I still want to swap it out with an LED one. Here are a few pictures of the bulb. I accidentally took the bulb out from the socket, and didn't realize that the wiring was connected to the whole thing.

Old 10-14-2020
Administrator
Administrator

those kinda look like #74 bulbs
Old 10-14-2020
Noobie

those kinda look like #74 bulbs
Well I need the black holder part too, since the wires are long and go all the way down to it, and bend weirdly (I didn't know how to rebend the bulb back in after pulling it out, since it's a little weird)
Old 10-14-2020
Administrator
Administrator

they're not mini wedge style? weird.
Old 10-14-2020
Noobie

they're not mini wedge style? weird.
I thought they were too, and they seem to be the same size as the T5 bulbs I have. But once I took it out I found out it had long wires
Old 10-15-2020
Registered!!

Yeah, that's not the design I thought they were....

I believe you may have to figure out how to remove that circuit board from the plastic casing it is clipped into. There are probably some tabs on either side that push out to release the board.

Then, you will have to de-solder the bulb socket. Having the socket loose in you hand now, you can probably unwrap the wire from the grooves in the socket.

Figure out which size bulb you need to replace this one. It will be called a WIRE TERMINAL BULB. It will come with fairly long wires usually. Place the new bulb in the socket (with the wires going into the socket) and wrap the wires into the grooves the same way they were before. You will probably be left with a little bit of wire hanging down on both sides. These wires will go through the circuit board and you'll have to solder them in place.

This is my guess of how to replace these bulbs based on your pics. Definitely different than the lights on the 7th gen cluster.
The following 2 users liked this post by bachands:
Vepy (10-22-2020), xRiCeBoYx (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020
Administrator
Administrator

I believe you may have to figure out how to remove that circuit board from the plastic casing it is clipped into. There are probably some tabs on either side that push out to release the board.

Then, you will have to de-solder the bulb socket. Having the socket loose in you hand now, you can probably unwrap the wire from the grooves in the socket.

Figure out which size bulb you need to replace this one. It will be called a WIRE TERMINAL BULB. It will come with fairly long wires usually. Place the new bulb in the socket (with the wires going into the socket) and wrap the wires into the grooves the same way they were before. You will probably be left with a little bit of wire hanging down on both sides. These wires will go through the circuit board and you'll have to solder them in place.

This is my guess of how to replace these bulbs based on your pics. Definitely different than the lights on the 7th gen cluster.
You. I like you. Good insight there.

edit: sudden realization that that could be construed as sarcasm. None intended at all.
Old 10-18-2020
Registered!!

You. I like you. Good insight there.

edit: sudden realization that that could be construed as sarcasm. None intended at all.
I didn't take it that way at first (as sarcasm), then I started to think...hmmm, am I getting punked here? Was my comment too obvious or something? Then I saw your edit...so, all good

Vepy--
Do you know how to solder a little? Do you have some soldering tools? You shouldn't need much.
Old 10-22-2020
Noobie

I can actually take the bulb sockets out, along with the bub outside the socket thing itself. I could try getting those bulbs with the light wires. I also don't have a way to solder.
Old 10-22-2020
Noobie

I didn't take it that way at first (as sarcasm), then I started to think...hmmm, am I getting punked here? Was my comment too obvious or something? Then I saw your edit...so, all good

Vepy--
Do you know how to solder a little? Do you have some soldering tools? You shouldn't need much.
I don't think soldering would be hard, since I have years of metal welding experience, but I do not own a soldering iron. But I think I would just need to get a bulb with long wires, and just put it in the socket after bending it
Old 10-22-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Vepy
I can actually take the bulb sockets out, along with the bub outside the socket thing itself. I could try getting those bulbs with the light wires. I also don't have a way to solder.
The sockets just pull out? I guess I don't really understand this design then. But hey, at least you know what type of bulb to get so hopefully you can figure it out from there.

If you end up needing to solder, you would need the iron, solder, and solder braid (aka solder wick). The braid is used to "suck up" the solder from the through-hole solder joints. And I would suggest a 70W iron. Sometimes the 30W iron just doesn't cut it on older circuit boards like these.
Old 10-31-2020
Noobie

The sockets just pull out? I guess I don't really understand this design then. But hey, at least you know what type of bulb to get so hopefully you can figure it out from there.

If you end up needing to solder, you would need the iron, solder, and solder braid (aka solder wick). The braid is used to "suck up" the solder from the through-hole solder joints. And I would suggest a 70W iron. Sometimes the 30W iron just doesn't cut it on older circuit boards like these.
I can always make a video of taking out the bulb and the bulb itself if needed. Yea hopefully I can get the right bulb, I just need to get one that will hold in place correctly.