General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

5 speed rocks back and forth in 1st [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
billybob1995 is an unknown quantity at this point
5 speed rocks back and forth in 1st [solved]

rocking back and forth is the best way i can describe it.
im sorta new to manuals. i had 95 f350 with a 5 speed and it wouldnt buck like that, also it had like 400 lbft of torque

I am not sure if this is motor mounts. i had my mom in the car with the hood open, and i had her let off and on the throttle, the engine remained pretty still. i replaced motor mount behind radiator. it just feels stupid, like i let off in first and i get surged forward.

This might be another useful piece of info as well. When i hit the brakes at low speed (more noticable at low speed) i hear a clunk and i feel it in my steering wheel. New suspension components and i very recently replaced a tie rod end( due to a mild clunk going oer speed bumps) and did a self alignment.

im just wondering what other place i should look? the bucking or back anf forth feeling does not occur with clutch in/ in neutral/out of gear, is it the engine lugging at low rpm? it is at idle. im not sure, just looking for clarifacation. Thanks

Old 07-02-2022
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
re: 5 speed rocks back and forth in 1st [solved]

So you’re in first gear, and it’s jerking back and forth when moving in first gear?

First gear in pretty much any car has very low gearing. For the most part, it’s really just to get you moving, not a gear to actually drive in. Without using the clutch as an assist, first gear is usually pretty violent to engage, which would explain the jerking you’re referring to. That’s about all I can interpret.
Old 07-02-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

in other words, do you feel that in 2nd gear? If not, you are not using the 1st gear properly, shift up
The following users liked this post:
FRSam (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like normal first gear stuff. My Civic did that and my Prelude will. My GTI does not but that might be because it has a dual mass flywheel.
Old 07-02-2022
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
billybob1995 is an unknown quantity at this point

i figured, i was messing around and it does not do it in second. guess 1st is literally simply for getting car rolling. thanks for the insight.

just wanted to make sure it was normal