General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

New to me 2002 Civic Coupe, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
philnotfil is an unknown quantity at this point
New to me 2002 Civic Coupe, some questions

Last car died (transmission) and had to buy a car yesterday afternoon to get the kids to school this morning. Ended up with 2002 Honda Civic Coupe DX (thank you to Dave Ramsey for encouraing an emergency fund, bails us out on a yearly basis, really does turn catastrophes into annoyances).

A couple of things before I've really had a chance to dig into it:
Only has one key, can additional keys be programmed from the car or will I need to find someone with the right equipment to get it working?

Trunk latch isn't holding well, rattles when driving, with a little bit of effort I can pull the trunk open. Any hope for adjusting this, or replace the latch? I'm fine with tying it down from the inside and ignoring it if this is an expensive fix

Gas cap cover doesn't latch. It stays closed and I can push the offside to pop it open, so low priority. How hard is it to replace the cable and get this working properly?

A couple drops of oil on the ground this morning, rear driver side. Any commons leaks over there? Any suggestions on where to start with for hunting this down?

Shimmies at highway speeds, hopefully getting an alignment will take care of that. Any other common reasons for this car to do that that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Phillip
Old 03-09-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: New to me 2002 Civic Coupe, some questions

nowadays keysmiths carry key programmer devices
The following users liked this post:
philnotfil (03-11-2022)
Old 03-09-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...gen-civic.html
philnotfil (03-11-2022)
Old 03-10-2022
Registered!!

Thanks, all kinds of good stuff in there
Old 03-10-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by philnotfil
Last car died (transmission) and had to buy a car yesterday afternoon to get the kids to school this morning. Ended up with 2002 Honda Civic Coupe DX (thank you to Dave Ramsey for encouraing an emergency fund, bails us out on a yearly basis, really does turn catastrophes into annoyances).

A couple of things before I've really had a chance to dig into it:
Only has one key, can additional keys be programmed from the car or will I need to find someone with the right equipment to get it working?
key has to be programmed as stated earlier

Trunk latch isn't holding well, rattles when driving, with a little bit of effort I can pull the trunk open. Any hope for adjusting this, or replace the latch? I'm fine with tying it down from the inside and ignoring it if this is an expensive fix
You can try to adjust, latch might be seized

​​​​​​​
Gas cap cover doesn't latch. It stays closed and I can push the offside to pop it open, so low priority. How hard is it to replace the cable and get this working properly?
​​​​​​​
Time consuming, but not hard, most of the interior trim on the driver's side has to come off.

​​​​​​​
A couple drops of oil on the ground this morning, rear driver side. Any commons leaks over there? Any suggestions on where to start with for hunting this down?
At the rear of the car? Gas tank

Shimmies at highway speeds, hopefully getting an alignment will take care of that. Any other common reasons for this car to do that that I should be aware of?

Check the front end, control arm bushings might be torn
philnotfil (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42

At the rear of the car? Gas tank

Apologies for the lack of clarity, rear left of the engine. I wiped things down and it appears to be above the oil pan gasket rather than from the oil pan gasket. Still can't clearly see a source for the leak, it's kind of crowded there.

Old 03-11-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

So on the pulley side of the engine towards the firewall, and above the pan
could be valve cover gasket, could even be that whoever did the last oil change made a mess and didn't clean it up, or the filter might be leaking.
sdaidoji (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,326 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I've seen a few oil leaks from the O-ring on the oil pump (17 in the below pic). This is an O-ring between the oil pump and the block. Leak shows up almost exactly where you mention, rear driver side corner just above the oil pan.

Old 03-11-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

for oil leaks, you usually need to start from the uppermost signs of oil.

whoever, it could be this too:
Originally Posted by Colin42
could be valve cover gasket, could even be that whoever did the last oil change made a mess and didn't clean it up, or the filter might be leaking.
Clean the oil, drive a while and re-check to pinpoint where the oil is coming from.
If around the head, these are common - thank you, i ended up adding this to that thread link above
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Engine oil leaks around the head:
  • Last guy that did oil change spilled oil and did not clean up
  • valve cover gasket
  • camshaft end cover plug