Whine/groan on first acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Whine/groan on first acceleration

Hi guys,

I've had my Civic for about a year now, and while I've managed to chase down most of the rattles and shakes, there's still a noise that completely confuses me. The Civic is a automatic 02 ex coupe w/ d17a2, 160k miles.

When I first pull out from my driveway/work, it makes a low whine/growl noise that sounds like a motor being spun by hand. Lasts for just one second and goes away. It doesn't happen pulling from any subsequent stops, only after starting the engine. It does not seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold when started. Every first pull sounds this way (eg. still hot leaving gas station). This leads me to suspect the starter or solenoid, but I don't have any idea how to check that further- they have normal electrical resistances and seem to work well even in cold weather.

I had all the axles and wheel hubs replaced this year and it hasn't made a difference in the noise. Ditto for tb and components. Oil changes are very clean and do not change the pitch/tone of the noise. Suspension was completely redone last year by the previous owner. I've had all the scheduled and some unscheduled maintenance done up to 160k, and my drivetrain feels like it's in otherwise good condition for the age. Great mpg and no fluid consumption. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything else I can do to check the function of the engine bearings and starter to rule them out?

Last edited by Stillmeister; 11-17-2020 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-17-2020
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Whine/groan on first acceleration

Please make video of the noise.
Old 11-17-2020
Registered!!

Sorry I can't get a better clip, it's pouring rain like always here. Nonetheless it's pretty loud. The clicks are my backup cam turning on/off.

Last edited by Stillmeister; 11-17-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2020
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Sorry, I can't hear much from that clip.
Have you brought it to a mechanic yet?
Old 11-22-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ABS pump......? If so, that would be normal.

ONE time after startup......the first time you reach a certain low speed (maybe 4 mph, maybe 9, i don't remember specifics) the ABS pump motor cycles on for about one second as part of its self test routine.
It might be mentioned in the owners manual too.
Old 11-23-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone

ONE time after startup......the first time you reach a certain low speed (maybe 4 mph, maybe 9, i don't remember specifics) the ABS pump motor cycles on for about one second as part of its self test routine.
It might be mentioned in the owners manual too.
I second this - but if you have had the car for some time, it is odd that you are just now hearing this normal self test of the ABS.

"The ABS control unit checks the pump motor
operation during initial diagnosis when the vehicle is
started. You may hear the motor operate at this time,
but it is normal."
Old 11-23-2020
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: Whine/groan on first acceleration

Originally Posted by ezone
Thank you for the suggestion! I pulled the abs fuse and it doesn't make that noise without it. If that is normal operation, then I'm fine with it.
It may just be a little louder in my case due to worn brake shoes, they're due in less than 5k.

Old 12-16-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stillmeister
Thank you for the suggestion! I pulled the abs fuse and it doesn't make that noise without it. If that is normal operation, then I'm fine with it.
Yes it is normal and correct operation.
It may just be a little louder in my case due to worn brake shoes
This, however, is an incorrect assumption. Brake pad/shoe condition has absolutely nothing to do with you hearing the ABS pump self test noise.