General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

2005 Hybrid IMA issues after clutch job

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roy Jürgens is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Hybrid IMA issues after clutch job

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - it had been running great (except for the clutch) until I ended up lost on a dirt road in the desert in the middle of the night. I ended up getting stuck in the sand and burning out the rest of my clutch freeing myself.

I took it to a local shop and he charged me $696 for the clutch (I Know!) but in the process he screwed up the IMA. The gauge no longer shows any charge going to the battery, the battery light comes on when the car idles and the IMA light is on. Also, the AC doesn't work. I took it back to the mechanic and he doesn't know what the problem is, blaming the burnt out clutch for causing electrical damage. I don't see how a burnt clutch inside the trans is going to damage external electrical components. Besides, I was able to drive it after I fried the clutch and the IMA worked just fine.

Someone please advise. Could it be that the the orange power harness got disconnected of damaged?

Old 09-15-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Hybrid IMA issues after clutch job

696 is pretty reasonable for a clutch job done in a shop IMO

Don't point the finger of blame unless it's proven that your clutch installer actually caused your new IMA problems. (remember, that car is OLD and they develop problems without any human interference)

First things first: You need to find out what fault codes are in the engine computer and IMA computers.

IIRC a basic clutch job in that hybrid could be accomplished without touching any of the IMA stuff, but I cannot vouch for anyone elses work....and it's been a while since I've had to deal with a trans in a hybrid Civic from that generation.

. .The only thing I can think of is maybe the mechanic turned off the IMA battery (there is a big switch on the IMA battery) before removing the trans, then forgot to turn it on when the work was finished. There's a lot of work involved in accessing that switch so i would kinda expect one would remember to turn the switch on before reassembling in that area.