General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

The right tape for my window, and removing the Wrong tape !

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DmRofAtoZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy The right tape for my window, and removing the Wrong tape !

Oy . . so,

A year ago both window motors went on my 2002 Civic... with a week of each other !
It was a case of, with apologies to Joni Mitchell, "can't see the world, from both sides now"

Had to get the driver's side done, and have not been able to afford the passenger-side as of yet.
So I've been taping it closed, and that generally lasts months or more . . until a good n' hot sun-blazey day when it droops down and must be redone !

Last week I realized I ougth'a go to a Home Depot, rather then pick thru the limited tapes at a supermarket.
With an uninformed employees help, I went with Nashua Aqua Seal Tape, `cause it sure seemed mighty and heat resistant.
Big mistake !!
That tape has a paper layer that runs all thru it and is so intensely sticky that any piece that got away from me and accidentally landed on, say, the back window . . is still fused there !
But during the weekend when my car was parked, as I drove the cab, it drooped and dropped anyway.

I tried Goo Gone to help get it off so I could try the 3M duct tape I just got to replace it, but that did nada. Neither did gasoline which had been great at removing resigoo up till now.

Any suggestions for removing the over-zealous tape without dissolving the car ??

The effect above the window rubber looks like it "reshaped" the paint, but it's actually more resigoo. I'm letting it dry overnight, `cause the Goo Gone just made it slippery and that much harder to grip and begin peeling . . which was already near impossible.

Last edited by DmRofAtoZ; 06-03-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-03-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: The right tape for my window, and removing the Wrong tape !

Gas, acetone, wax and grease remover.
Taking the door panel off and shoving a 2x4 under the window is probably a better temporary solution, just make sure you don't wedge it too tight
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: The right tape for my window, and removing the Wrong tape !

Try going back to Home Depot and getting some caulk remover, that tape is silicone based hence your problem removing it.