General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Window rubber seal sticks and it jumps the sliding rails

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbander is an unknown quantity at this point
Window rubber seal sticks and it jumps the sliding rails

I have to pull the facing on the inside of the door to put the window back into it's groove , it's getting kind of old so I would like to find a solution. I think part of the problem is that the rubber seal around the window sticks badly and it pulls the rubber out of the slot that holds it in place then the window stops or jumps out of its rail. Maybe some sort of lubricant , but what I tried lithium spray( which might be the cause, it may be to sticky) wd40 and silicone spray.
Old 05-09-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Window rubber seal sticks and it jumps the sliding rails

Originally Posted by jbander
Maybe some sort of lubricant , but what I tried lithium spray( which might be the cause, it may be to sticky) wd40 and silicone spray.
Sounds like the part keeping it in the groove is wearing out. I wouldn't put any grease or lubricant anywhere near the glass... it'll mess up your visibility! Have you ever driven into a sunset with a WD40-covered window? Take it from me, you don't want to do that.
You could try pulling the weather strip out and cleaning it. You could also inspect it for damage. You could probably find a replacement at a junk yard or online pretty easily.
Old 05-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Silicone works well. It is actually recommended for cleaning tinted windows as it does not hurt the tint like ammonia in Windex.
Old 05-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbander is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
Silicone works well. It is actually recommended for cleaning tinted windows as it does not hurt the tint like ammonia in Windex.
Its sticking so bad that it pulls the rubber out of it's groove it's in and it pushes the stretched rubber above the window as it slide up and jams the window so it stops/
Old 05-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

If the rubber has deteriorated severely, you may not be able to clean it. If you can get it out, wash it in Dawn then use your lubricant on it. You can also try something like Maguires' rubber and vinyl cleaner.
Old 05-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There are TSBs about this issue.
Depending on year, model and VIN there are a few different procedures to be done.

Post the car info and VIN