Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

squeaky driver side window

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
squeaky driver side window

my driver side power window squeaks like a **** when rolled up or down. sometimes i have problems with it rolling up almost closed and then slowing to a crawl. ive had some people tell me its a bad window regulator. if i open the panel, im not really sure what to look for. i also thought about lubing the tracks with silicone spray (the ones outside of the door panel where the window is in rolled up position).
Old 12-31-2009
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Re: squeaky driver side window

Hate to bring this back from the dead but mine has started doing this...Not all the time, only when it's dry outside and i've been driving with the window down in cold weather, around 30-40 degrees. ****'s getting on my nerves. Did you ever find out what it was?
Old 12-31-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i sprayed the tracks where the window slides with silicone spray lube. completely got rid of the squeaks. its best to do the lower tracks too by removing the door panel, but even the top ones will help (and some lube might trickle down to the bottom anyway). just roll the windows down and carefully spray inside each track. let it dry for an hour at least before using the window.
Old 12-31-2009
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Sweet. I was afraid silicone spray would somehow screw with the window, like making it permanently cloudy or filmy...But thanks for the tip g-box.
Old 12-31-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

i got another question, i was saying a few days ago i have this problem too. where exactly do you mean by the tracks? i have no interest (especially at this time of year) to remove my door panel and screwing around. i want to do only what i need to.

do you mean those two rubbery flaps that go across the door horizontal where the window disappears down into when you have it all the way down?

or is it the part on the side that sits vertical thats towards the rear of the door?

ive tried to listen to exactly where the sound comes from but i cant tell. also, does the silicone spray lube do any damage to tint?
Old 12-31-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

There are front and rear tracks lined with a slick rubber lining. They are down inside the door and they hold/guide the window when it is in the lowered position. There are also tracks in the upper portion of the door as well.

Make sure you clean them all completely, and make sure the rubber inserts in the tracks are in place and not mis-formed.
Old 12-31-2009
Premium Member

guys you are spraying the silicone when the window is rolled down in the door, so there is no chance of getting any on the glass. you spray inside those two long, vertical channels where the glass moves thru.
Old 12-31-2009
Registered!!

Hondaguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey gearbox, you said in your first post that the windows slows down as it reaches the top when closing. Did using the silicone lube spees it up any? Both of my windows are a little slow going up, especially the passenger side.. I think it may be the window motor.

Im also still a little confused on where you are spraying exactly. So you roll the window down. You dont take the panel off? So looking down where the window retracted spray inside there?
Old 12-31-2009
Premium Member

yeah after the silicone, it rolls up like normal. before it would almost not make it to the top. roll down the window, then spray the two rails that hold the window on each side. you are spraying vertical surfaces that are part of the door frame.

when you are looking at your car from the side, this is how it looks. spray each | from top to bottom. but usually when you spray at the top, gravity will carry the lube all the way down.

|window|
Old 01-13-2010
Premium Member

now that i was able to spray the BOTTOM channels that extend inside the door, the front windows roll up just like when the car was new! the rears didnt make any difference, in fact they were rolling smoothly, but thats prolly since there is only a couple inches of window track in the door. most of it is outside. but for the front windows, half the channel is in the door, so only doing the top part doesnt help completely. also both sides now roll down at the same time! instead of driver lagging behind