Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06grocerygetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant leak

I have a 2006 civic 1.8 liter. 166,xxx miles I believe it's an lx model. Yesterday I noticed it was leaking coolant and after some research I think I may be another victim to a cracked engine block. The leak seems to be coming from under the starter on the back side of the motor. I took some pics of the leak but they are a little hard to see. I made an appointment at the honda dealership for Monday bc I read if it is indeed cracked it will be covered under a warranty. Does anyone know if that is true? Also does this look like the cracked block to some of you more experienced honda techs? Thanks for any feedback in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	86669  
Old 05-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coolant leak

I made an appointment at the honda dealership for Monday bc I read if it is indeed cracked it will be covered under a warranty. Does anyone know if that is true?
I assume you are in the US?
Monday is a holiday!
I have it off!

If it is coming from above the starter somewhere you can't really see, it's (99.99% sure) a cracked block.

It's covered 10 years/unlimited mileage--- as long as the Honda dealers VIN report comes back showing it's valid and open.
(If your title or VIN report shows salvage or totaled or something else that would cause warranty coverage to be denied, it's not covered.)

I just did one for a traveler passing through that was stranded. Got it in mid-afternoon Thursday, checked it out and ordered the parts, and had him back on the road by Friday evening.
Old 05-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06grocerygetter is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be great if I could get it back that soon. So you just replaced the block? I was thinking they would replace the motor? Either way is fine with me as long as I don't have to spend money, but a new motor would be pretty awesome.
Old 05-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 06grocerygetter
That would be great if I could get it back that soon. So you just replaced the block? I was thinking they would replace the motor? Either way is fine with me as long as I don't have to spend money, but a new motor would be pretty awesome.
It would get what Honda calls a "short block", which is the block, crank, rods and pistons, and oil pan. And enough gaskets and parts to install it. Everything else is reused, if possible.

If it got hot enough to warp the cylinder head it should get that too. (Most don't need it, all depends on how hot it got. Gotta take it apart and measure it for flatness.)

Honda doesn't supply complete engines to us for any of the cars AFAIK. We have to get a short block, and then get the cylinder head(s) separately if needed.

HTH