Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

cracked engine block, thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beefsloth is an unknown quantity at this point
cracked engine block, thermostat question

My 06 civic lx recently overheated and now the short block is being replaced under warranty but the rest of the damage (cylinder head, radiator, ignition coils, spark plugs, tensioner chain, etc.)are all not covered. Honda dealership claims I drove the car while it was overheating and therefore am responsible for damage from defect. However, my temp gauge never indicating overheating. I was about 15 min into my drive going 70mph on freeway. Car stopped accelerating and I checked all the gauges and temp was at normal midlevel range. Only saw check engine light flash as I pulled to the side and turned off the car. My coolant levels were normal the night before because I had noticed a few coolant drips in garage and called the dealership to schedule an appt. Was keeping a close eye on coolant levels and temp as they had told me to do. Could my car have lost all of the coolant preventing the temp sensor from getting a reading? Honda is claiming that I must have just not seen the temp gauge warning and therefore not responsible to cover under warranty. Also, would a diagnostic show anything about temp warnings and can this prove I never did receive a warning? At this point I'm looking at a a bill for $4000.
Old 06-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cracked engine block, thermostat question

I suggest you call Hondas customer assistance number ASAP.

EDIT: Calmly explain what happened, explain what the dealer is wanting you to pay for. Ask them what is appropriate for this cracked block job under warranty.

http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...relations.aspx

For further assistance, feel free to contact Honda Automobile Customer Service. Business hours are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

By Phone
At our toll-free number: 1-800-999-1009

Last edited by ezone; 06-10-2014 at 07:17 PM.