Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk Ajar Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003
Never Too Wide, Never Too Extreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
InOvAtStyL is on a distinguished road
Trunk Ajar Light

My trunk light is buggin the ish outta me. It constantly stays on as if the trunk was open but it isn't. I took it to the dealer and they were gonna charge me $78 an hour to find the problem (cause i voided my warrenty with all my mods). Do any of you know how to fix this or how to disconnect the trunk sensor?..........anyone??????
Old 06-05-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
:zbsflag: they cant void your warranty for that...what kind of mods are they saying voided your warranty??

Old 06-05-2003
Never Too Wide, Never Too Extreme

InOvAtStyL is on a distinguished road
when i pulled up they saw my JT front and rear kit and carbon fiber hood. When i popped my trunk to show them how the dash light stays on, they saw my custom sub enclosure in the back. I think that's some of the signs that they saw that would have voided my warranty. They also said..."you should have checked it out before you went and voided your warranty by putting this stuff in"....but the prob. didn't occur till a while after i had all the things installed.
Old 06-06-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
total BULL SH?T!!!! Take it to the dealer and tell them you want why your car isn't covered under warrenty in WRITING!! Unless you screwed with the trunk latch its covered. All dealers (honda,toyota,chevy,etc.) hate to do warrenty work because they make no money, thats why they screw you hard with labor and parts costs.
Old 06-06-2003
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
solar is totally right. Unless you did a modification that would have somehow affected the trunk they have to warranty the work. Check the sound system and make sure you didnt run into or drill any of the wire harnesses or anything to that effect.

Now although I know it is probably a honda issue to fix but to actually find the problem isnt that big of a deal. If you have a multimeter you can find the problem with a couple of steps. I havnt actually looked at my trunk but somewhere there is a switch like your doors to show closed. If you check the switch you should find 2 wire from it and with a meter set to ohms or continuity you can check the switch itself. Open and close the switch and the reading should change from infinite to almost 0 ohms when its open/closed. If the switch works then check the wires that come from it for a voltage dc of about 5 volts when the switch is open and 0 volts or so when the switch is closed. If you find that there isnt any voltage try following the wires up the car and check the voltage again. Mark the last spot you checked that didnt have voltage . When you finally find a spot with some you will know there is a short/cut somewhere between when you are checking and the last spot that you didnt find the voltage and then you can work your way back to finding the problem. If you trace the wires all the way back and there isnt voltage coming from the source then its definately time to talk to honda to trace the problem, under warranty of course.

One side note, I had a friend whos trunk light (not a civic) stayed on and it was actually a burnt out light in the trunk light. The power for the switch was fed through the light circuit and the burnt light made the car thing the switch was open. You can double check that as well.

Hope this helps