Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My danged gas tank isn't 13.2 gallons

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonederanger is an unknown quantity at this point
My danged gas tank isn't 13.2 gallons

Hrm. My 2003 LX coupe automatic doesn't seem to have a 13.2 gallon tank. That's what it says in my manual anyway. If my car is on empty (where my gas light comes on) and I put in 9.5 gallons or so of fuel my tank seems to be capped off. Do the newer civics make it so when you SEEM to be out of fuel you actually have a few gallons left? Just a rant here but if some of you guys are gettin' crappy gas mileage take a look at how many hills/ mountains yer navigating when you drive. I bought my car in Sherman Oaks (California) where it's pretty damned flat. I was gettin' pretty good gas mileage. Like 30-34 miles to da gallon. Now that I've moved to Escondido and drive 20 miles to work (nothing but hills) my gas consumption has sky rocketed. Anyway back to my question. If any of guys have also noticed that the gas tank seems small drop a line. Thanks
Old 05-20-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My danged gas tank isn't 13.2 gallons

Originally posted by Lonederanger
Hrm. My 2003 LX coupe automatic doesn't seem to have a 13.2 gallon tank. That's what it says in my manual anyway. If my car is on empty (where my gas light comes on) and I put in 9.5 gallons or so of fuel my tank seems to be capped off. Do the newer civics make it so when you SEEM to be out of fuel you actually have a few gallons left? Just a rant here but if some of you guys are gettin' crappy gas mileage take a look at how many hills/ mountains yer navigating when you drive. I bought my car in Sherman Oaks (California) where it's pretty damned flat. I was gettin' pretty good gas mileage. Like 30-34 miles to da gallon. Now that I've moved to Escondido and drive 20 miles to work (nothing but hills) my gas consumption has sky rocketed. Anyway back to my question. If any of guys have also noticed that the gas tank seems small drop a line. Thanks
I'm pretty sure you do have a 13.2 gallon gas tank. The light just comes on early, about 2-3 gallons before your empty. This was done on purpose by Honda to ensure people fill up when they need to. The light will come on earlier if your car is driven harder (hills, high heat, lots of rev's, etc.) and later if you drive like a grandma. I had the same skepticism, so I just drove my car till I ran completely out of gas and when I filled it it did indeed fill up 13.2 gallons. Since then I've taken the tank as low as 12.9 and 13.1 gallons fills driving on average of 430 total miles.
Old 05-20-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Its 13.2 gallon tank, unless you run the tank bone dry your going to have fuel left in it. Just to be sure, drive your car untill it runs out of gas then fill it up.
Old 05-20-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by solar
Its 13.2 gallon tank, unless you run the tank bone dry your going to have fuel left in it. Just to be sure, drive your car untill it runs out of gas then fill it up.
LOL ! And make sure you drive in circles around a gas station until it's empty so that you won't have to push your car too far.

Just cuz the light comes on doesn't mean the tank is empty. It comes on early for a purpose ... call it a "safety feature" if you will. I mean the whole point of that low fuel light is to warn you early enough so that you still have enough gas to make it to the next station or exit to fill up.

Last edited by Ronin; 05-20-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2003
Registered!!

Civic2k1racer is an unknown quantity at this point
man, one time i got gas and it filled up 13.24 or something like that, a lil over 13.2, i guess they topped it off, thank God i got to the gas station when i did.
Old 05-25-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: My danged gas tank isn't 13.2 gallons

Originally posted by NorrinRadd
I'm pretty sure you do have a 13.2 gallon gas tank. The light just comes on early, about 2-3 gallons before your empty. This was done on purpose by Honda to ensure people fill up when they need to. The light will come on earlier if your car is driven harder (hills, high heat, lots of rev's, etc.) and later if you drive like a grandma. I had the same skepticism, so I just drove my car till I ran completely out of gas and when I filled it it did indeed fill up 13.2 gallons. Since then I've taken the tank as low as 12.9 and 13.1 gallons fills driving on average of 430 total miles.
Draining your car till it is out of fuel is fantastic for it. It allows all the sludge on the bottom of the tank to get in your lines. Not to mention allowing your fuel pump to run with no lubrication. I wouldn't recommend this. I mean does it really matter if you have a 13.2 or a 12.2? When the little needle gets near the E...get gas. It's really not that complicated.
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

adadani2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
obviously the light won't turn on at 13.2 gallons, then you'd be at a complete stop