Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission going into reverse by itself...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002
Super Hoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

yup, that's what happened to me in my 7th gen coupe w/automatic....

i hit a lamp poll...(yeah, my fault...i did something really stupid..)

anyways, smoke filled the cockpit and i got the hell out as soon as i was able to...

forgot to turn the car off and it went in reverse by itself....

anyone know how? i never shifted into reverse....

btw, my car almost stalled when backing out of the driveway 2 days ago....

what's the chances that insurance company will call it a total loss? front and some back damage...frame might be fine but radiator and stuff is all gone....looks really bad...
Old 10-04-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me get this straight, you drove into a Lamp Post, the car filled with smoke, you bailed out of the car, and then the car went into reverse? I can bet that you bent the shift linkage under the car and its not engaging into park properly and poping out into reverse. Sounds like you messed up the car pretty good, how come your still driving it? Why don't you call your insurance company and take it to a bodyshop for repair? I really don't think the insurance company will call it a total loss.
Old 10-05-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: solar
Let me get this straight, you drove into a Lamp Post, the car filled with smoke, you bailed out of the car, and then the car went into reverse? I can bet that you bent the shift linkage under the car and its not engaging into park properly and poping out into reverse. Sounds like you messed up the car pretty good, how come your still driving it? Why don't you call your insurance company and take it to a bodyshop for repair? I really don't think the insurance company will call it a total loss.[hr]
i'm not driving it anymore...it's no longer drivable....looks like the axle is also bent...bumper is in half, radiator is gone, fan belt snapped, and exhaust tip has moved around 2 inches past the rear bumper...etc..it looks terrible...i saw it again today when i went to remove the personal belongings from it (in the insurance company's lot) ....
it's very close to a write off..i just hope they don't decide to fix it because the main frame rails are not damaged and the engine also still runs...

do you think my transmission is toast?
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the whole car is toast, why are you concerned about the tranny, it seems like you have more to worry about, good luck.
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
get yurself a manual tranny [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-07-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: solar
Sounds like the whole car is toast, why are you concerned about the tranny, it seems like you have more to worry about, good luck.[hr]
i'm hoping it's toast....

i'm not really worried about the tranny, just wanted to know why it went into reverse...i'm hoping the tranny is toast too...

problem is that ICBC can be a biatch....i have a friend whose brand new $32,000 Camry was T-Boned by some guy going 80km/h....they had to be cut out of the car with the jaws of life...total damage to that car was $22,000cdn and ICBC fixed it instead of giving them a write off...that's just nasty of them...