Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

problem with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charlios is an unknown quantity at this point
problem with suspension

Hey i have notice a squeeking noice coming from my rear. I notice it when i go over a bump and when i shook my car up and down from the back it made the same squeek...its coming from both rear wheel side. does anyone know if this is a serious problem?
Old 08-22-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Test #1: Lean on the trunk of your car. let go and see if the car:
a) Returns to equilibrium
b) Bounces up and down several times

B would indicate that your shocks are bad. Time to call Honda

A would majorily rule out the shocks as they did what they're designed to do.

Considering it only squeaks when the car hits a bump... my guess is the springs. Did you lower your car or is it still on the stock springs? Take a look and make sure nothings rubbing on them and that they still look ok. I'm not exactly sure how to test the springs. You may just want to let the dealer look at it.
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
It could also be the frame arm bushings,(I'm not sure what that exact arm is called but its the 2 arms going straight out from the frame to the suspention, the bushings are where the bolts go straight through and attach to the frame) if it is give them a spray with silicon spray, don't use WD-40 because it will eat the rubber.
Old 08-26-2002
Registered!!

hondamexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
Had the same problem, In my case the sound was like a squeak (like an old mattress) coming from the rear suspension. This is quite common in 2k1īs in cities with less that good pavement.

Dealer replaced the suspension bushings, which are somewhat different to the 2k2 civicīs. No more squeaks ever since. I recommend you taking it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty, I waited too long and it only gets worse over time and the car squeaks all the time under cool weather.

I donīt know if there is a service bulletin for this in the US, I know there was one in Mexico and all Civics sold here come from Ohio.
Old 08-29-2002
Registered!!

RevHigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever drive behind another 7th gen and notice how much the rear bounces? Kinda disappointing in the rear suspension I think. But yeah, I have a creaky rear suspension, for my next oil change, I'm gonna have the dealer look at it.

Edit: I also drive on less-than-perfect roads, which doesn't help the problem.