Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Suspension leaning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Suspension leaning?

It may be my imagination, but as I was going into a friend's house, I looked back at my Civic...and it looked like it was leaning towards the driver's side. I thought that I might not be parked on a level surface, so I looked again when I parked at work (it has a large, seemingly-level parking lot), and it does seem like it's leaning. I have about 4000 miles on it, and I am usually the only occupant. So far, I have only done the "eyeball" test, measuring from the top of the wheel well to the top of the tire (not from the wheel well to the ground - to eliminate low tires as a cause) .

Is it normal for new cars to "settle in" or lean after such a short time, or could I be experiencing suspension problems (like springs)? I have owned many cars in my life, but I never really noticed anything like this before.
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
I was told by H&R that the reason they didn't make springs for the 4 Dr EX was because they had found that Honda had manufactured some with 2 different struts in the back. I checked mine and they were the same. Just a thought.
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Switch the springs from Left to Right. Once the right side springs settle(the ones that are now installed on the left), you'll have a nice even ride that won't lean. This has happened to me numerous times due to the constant weight on one side and much less(if any) on the passenger side.
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
I think I have the same problem, but stranger. It looks like my car leans to the passenger's side (with nobody in car), and I'm usually the only occupant. I have 28000 on the odometer.
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm..well, just as long as it is not some bizarre spring problem. I have seen the numerous posts about the squeaking and groaning suspensions on these cars - mine makes noise, too. I did not want to look stupid going into the dealer asking them to replace the springs; if "settling" is normal, then I won't worry about it too much unless it gets really bad. Thanks for all the input.

Really cool wheels, Inanimate! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

Mitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaning toward the passenger side is because that is where the weight of the transaxle is, on Hondas with the counter clockwise rotating engine/transaxle. If you have ever R&R an engine/transaxle it is very noticable. Just a thought. It is kinda apparent on most stock Hondas. Start checking all that you see in parking lots, you can kinda see the passenger side front wheel well gap is less than the driver side front wheel well gap. Just another thought, duh.