Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head Gasket 2005 EL

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RustyShackle will become famous soon enough
Head Gasket 2005 EL

I have been having trouble with my coolant overflow the past 2 years - always seems to creep up to the top of the reservoir cap and leak out slowly leaving the rad low. I'm on my 2nd or 3rd rad cap at this point. No overheating or CEL but idle can be a bit shaky on cold start.

Haven't checked my coolant level in a couple months so today I removed the cap and coolant shot out of my already full over flow. Should I even bother spending the money to do a leak down test or just have the head gasket done?
Old 09-02-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Head Gasket 2005 EL

Should verify that it is before you pull the trigger but 99% of the time it is...
Old 09-03-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Should I even bother spending the money to do a leak down test
I wouldn't pay someone to do tests that don't prove the problem.
Surely you've read the overheating common causes sticky thread we keep posting for everyone with a head gasket issue?

so today I removed the cap and coolant shot out of my already full over flow
Cold engine when you took the cap off?
Radiator level was low, but had lots of pressure in it?
Off with it's head.
Old 09-04-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Off with it's head.
in case you lost your copy

Name:  mHpqdRE.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  118.7 KB
Old 09-04-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: Don't be tempted to use a bottle of head gasket sealer. Will just cause more issues.
Old 09-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RustyShackle
I have been having trouble with my coolant overflow the past 2 years - always seems to creep up to the top of the reservoir cap and leak out slowly leaving the rad low. I'm on my 2nd or 3rd rad cap at this point. No overheating or CEL but idle can be a bit shaky on cold start.

Haven't checked my coolant level in a couple months so today I removed the cap and coolant shot out of my already full over flow. Should I even bother spending the money to do a leak down test or just have the head gasket done?
----------------------------------
I had the exact same symptoms recently on my '02 Civic LX 1.7.
The problems were caused by a WARPED CYLINDER HEAD that resulted from engine overheating. Combustion chamber gasses were leaking into the cooling system. Very common on these cars.
I pulled the head and had a local machine shop shave off 0.006."
The engine now runs like new. No more mysterious coolant loss or overheating. SMOOTH idle, plenty of power, high gas mileage!
Use OEM (Honda) parts exclusively, follow the OEM (Honda) service manual TO THE LETTER and you too will succeed.