Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valve cover gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IrishTexan is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve cover gasket replacement

I recently replaced the water pump in my 2005 Value Package Civic. When I put the new valve cover gasket on I think I did something to kink it where I couldn’t see because there was a substantial oil leak. I pulled the valve cover off and not only was the gasket messed up but the ignition coil tube seals were also broken.

The issue I’m having is the tube seals were pretty well baked onto the valve cover. I can’t get all of the old seal out of the valve cover where they mate with the openings for the ignition coils. I can’t get the new seals to even begin to seat and I don’t have anything else to try and dig out the old baked seal. The new seals seem to be rigid, almost like there’s a metal ring in it. What can I do to remove the remaining old gaskets? The new ones don’t seem too easy to press in either.
Old 07-31-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Valve cover gasket replacement

They are rigid. Rubber coated metal, I'm 95% sure of that. Every time I took them out, it involved a big ol' flathead screwdiver, a hammer, and using the flat head as a sort of chisel to "punch" them downwards (rest the mating surface of the valve cover on something soft-ish like a towel, rubber matting, pine boards, etc.). If you look from the top (where you insert the ignition coils), there's enough of a gap between the seal and valve cover to catch the screwdriver onto the tube seal.

To press them in, I used a rubber mallet and an impact socket whose inner diameter (I can't remember what size.. something ridiculous like 28-32mm) sat against the "outer race" of the seal. Again, resting the valve cover on something soft.
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Thanks, I had seen some saying to use a socket to seat them, it just looked super easy to seat them in all the videos I looked up.

The next issue is how do I get the rest of the old seals out of where the new ones have to seat? I used a pick to dig out most of it but the gap gets too skinny for the picks to get down into. Does anyone have an idea for what I can use?
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If your not popping out the solid metal ring that all the rubber is bonded too, your not doing it right.

Cleanup would be strong nylon brush and some soap and water.

Maybe a dental pick if needed, don’t use those on flat gasket surfaces because it will gouge the aluminum like a hot knife on butter, but in that tiny recess they should work well if you have broken off rubber heat welded in there.
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

That’s the issue, the rubber tore apart and the metal ring must still be lodged in the housing. There was no way I could get them out intact unfortunately.
Old 07-31-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Acetone and a nylon brush, I'd say .Won't harm metal, should be effective against rubber