Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Valve cover and Valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jenndenise41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve cover and Valve cover gasket

When I had my timing belt, water pump and crankshaft replaced a couple months ago, the tech advised that my valve cover needed replaced as well. I had him replace it but now I have a bit of oil on the cover and now he says the valve cover gasket needs replaced. My question is Why wasn't the gasket replaced along with the cover?
Old 11-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Valve cover and Valve cover gasket

if you have oil ON the cover then it'd check for the other seals for the valve cover bolts and maybe spark plug tube seals.

Usually the oil is going to run down from the leak so there should be oil on or around the block if its the valve cover gasket.

how many miles are on it?
Old 11-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My question is Why wasn't the
You need to be asking your mechanic these questions. You probably paid good money for a fix, you expect it to be done right.
We can't make excuses for your mechanic. Your mechanic will have to dream up lame excuses on his or her own.

(The valve cover itself was replaced???? Seriously? What was wrong with it?)
Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jenndenise41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
You need to be asking your mechanic these questions. You probably paid good money for a fix, you expect it to be done right.
We can't make excuses for your mechanic. Your mechanic will have to dream up lame excuses on his or her own.

(The valve cover itself was replaced???? Seriously? What was wrong with it?)
Ezone....you gave me the exact answer I was looking for! Im not thoroughly mechanically inclined but I would think that one would put a new valve cover gasket on the NEW valve cover instead of putting the old gasket back on. Apparently, the valve cover was cracked a bit. I dunno. Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jenndenise41
Ezone....you gave me the exact answer I was looking for! Im not thoroughly mechanically inclined but I would think that one would put a new valve cover gasket on the NEW valve cover instead of putting the old gasket back on. Apparently, the valve cover was cracked a bit. I dunno. Thanks a bunch!
did the valve cover LOOK BRAND NEW after replacement?....you should easily be able to tell,

i have never heard of having to replace a valve cover under normal circumstances, unless the cover was physically damaged while it was removed from the engine, like somebody playing baseball with it as the ball

if there is oil on top of the cover, its most likely your spark plug tube seals leaking
Old 11-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikey1
unless the cover was physically damaged while it was removed from the engine, like somebody playing baseball with it as the ball
Or the mechanic dropped it on the ground and put the blame onto you..
Old 11-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

Or the mechanic dropped it on the ground and put the blame onto you..
thats what i was thinking too.....but i dont think even dropping it on a concrete floor would damage it to the point of needing replacement
Old 11-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Well only the most nefarious mechanics would pull broken parts off their personal car and tell you “yours”was bad...
Old 11-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Well only the most nefarious mechanics would pull broken parts off their personal car and tell you “yours”was bad...
Whoa there. Mechanics NEVER work on their own cars.

LOL