Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New to the forum and just got my first Civic. Having hesitation issues and up hill st

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zax90 is an unknown quantity at this point
New to the forum and just got my first Civic. Having hesitation issues and up hill st

Hey guys greatly appreciate you allowing me to come to the forms my name is Derrick. I recently bought a 2003 Honda Civic EX with a 1.7 VTEC it's automatic.

I am currently having issues with the car struggling up hills shifting roughly and and having pretty bad hesitation. The check engine light was on so I knew that's where I should always start. Here's the code said it through and here's what I replaced so far.

P0132 (got the part and replacing it today)
P0341 (got the part and replaced it Saturday when I got the car)
P1491 (haven't really had the chance to research this one much)
P1259 (checked oil level and it was slightly under the second dot on the oil dipstick)
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304

Also I cleared the codes and drove it yesterday and the light came back so I'm going to check it today when I get off work.

I was told that if you unplug the O2 sensor the car should run a little better. I've done that and it does run a little bit better but it's still hesitating really bad especially up hills. Even small hills

Today after work I'm going to try to do a complete oil flush. Change the spark plugs. and put the oxygen sensor on. That's if it'll stop raining... Lol I'm kind of new to Civic area so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Zax90; 06-11-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old 06-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: New to the forum and just got my first Civic. Having hesitation issues and up hil

Sounds like your on the right track but it’s going to be uphill till it all gets sorted.

I highly suggest popping off the radiator cap every day before driving to make sure the coolant level is not dropping for your first month and checking the oil level at same time.

Old 06-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the forum and just got my first Civic. Having hesitation issues and up hil

You bought the car with all these problems? Why?
Old 06-12-2018
Registered!!

I did research on the issues and the car was only 700ish after tags and title. One quick question. What's the chance the cats are clogged and causing the car to not breath properly? I looked around at the local Auto parts stores for a pressure gauge so I can test to make sure it isn't pressurized. but no one has one. Is there another way to test that? Or should I just try to drive it with the cat disconnected? Thx for the reply.
Old 06-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Sounds like your on the right track but it’s going to be uphill till it all gets sorted.

I highly suggest popping off the radiator cap every day before driving to make sure the coolant level is not dropping for your first month and checking the oil level at same time.

Have been checking every day. The only thing is I know the camshaft seal plug for the head is leaking and I got a new one just waiting for the rain to stop while I'm not at work lol. Also I had the codes checked again and all I have now is the egr and o2 sensor codes.

Last edited by Zax90; 06-12-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old 06-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

disconnect the exhaust after the manifold and take it for a drive, see what happens

what egr code? did you replace anything for it yet? the passages usually get cloggged up
Old 06-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
disconnect the exhaust after the manifold and take it for a drive, see what happens

what egr code? did you replace anything for it yet? the passages usually get cloggged up
Just wanted to give y'all an update on the car. I disconnected the down pipe from the header and wow what a difference.... Before it took me about a minute and a half to get to 45. Now I can get to 60 in around 8-10 secs. And to awnser your quest the egr code is P1492 exhaust gas recirculation valve lift insufficient detected.
Old 06-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Good news, sounds like the cat is massively clogged up.

Bad news, mean engine probably has siezed oil control rings and will need constant checks on oil level till you figure out a good add interval.
Old 06-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

P1491 is an electrical issue with the EGR system. Could be bad EGR valve, open wire or short in the circuit from PCM to EGR or EGR to ground, poor connections at terminals, or a bad PCM.
This can lead to the misfire codes you have as well. (P0301, etc)
Old 06-13-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
P1491 is an electrical issue with the EGR system. Could be bad EGR valve, open wire or short in the circuit from PCM to EGR or EGR to ground, poor connections at terminals, or a bad PCM.
This can lead to the misfire codes you have as well. (P0301, etc)
Okay greatly appreciate the info! I really appreciate all the help you are giving me!
Old 06-13-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NDNV
P1491

Could be bad EGR valve, open wire or short in the circuit from PCM to EGR or EGR to ground, poor connections at terminals, or a bad PCM.
Or the valve stuck closed.

Or the EGR valve wasn't able to physically open when commanded.
Wonder if a whole bunch of backpressure could cause that?

Code P1491 is defined simply as "egr valve insufficient lift".
OP will have to figure out why.
Old 08-05-2018
Registered!!

Hey guys just wanted to give an update. After all was said and done. I decided that it was a good idea to change to timing belt and water pump because I didn't know when it was last done if ever. Did the reasearch on how to properly do the job and what all was needed. Got the parts and followed the instructions to a TEE. Got it apart and to my surprise I found a disaster. The spring that holds the tensioner was broken, the pump was leaking, and the timing cover was destroyed..... Well got a new timing cover, water pump, tensioner, bolt and spring, belt and crank seal. Put everything together and started it up. It sounded way better then before. I took it for a spin and it ran really great. Then at a light it bogged down and out of nowhere almost died at the light and sputtered when I tried to accelerate. Got it home and pulled the codes. Misfire on cylinder 2 and 4 and the multiple misfire code. Checked to see if the coils were getting spark and 1 and 3 were 2 and 4 wasn't. Swapped coils and same results. Tried new ones as well with no change. Feeling a little stumped I took the new crankshaft position sensor out and put the old one back in and it ran the same as the new one. Could it be possible to fail like that even though it isn't throwing a code for it? Thanks again guys for all the help this site and community has given me.
Old 08-06-2018

getting spark and 1 and 3 were 2 and 4 wasn't.
Got a voltmeter?

Each coil should have a power, a ground, and a 'trigger' that comes from the PCM. I kinda expect the two cylinders missing spark lost either a power or a ground......so.....(*checks wire diagram).....I'd inspect the wiring at the two splice packs that sit on top of the valve cover.
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Got a voltmeter?

Each coil should have a power, a ground, and a 'trigger' that comes from the PCM. I kinda expect the two cylinders missing spark lost either a power or a ground......so.....(*checks wire diagram).....I'd inspect the wiring at the two splice packs that sit on top of the valve cover.
okay will do. Thanks again man!