Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic losing oil and idling a little low...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolbum72 is an unknown quantity at this point
civic losing oil and idling a little low...advice?

Hi, I have been trying to correct a problem on my '98 civc EX and would like some advice on how to proceed next.

I got the car a few months ago in pretty bad shape. Besides cosmetic, I had a lot of issues with the engine and ultimately decided to replace it (it was burning oil badly). I'm not the best when it comes to car repairs, but I am learning...So, I gave it to a friend of mine who is a licensed mechanic. He found me a motor with 78,000 miles on it in great condition (the car tach said it only had 130,000 on it, so I thought I would be good to go for years...wrong). We did the swap and everything seemed fine. Changed all my fluids, belts, spark plugs, and fuel filter.

I check the oil dipstick about a week later, and the thing is bone dry. I fill it up with more oil (he had put synthetic in it, i switched to conventional 5w-30), check a week or so later, almost empty again. I am at the point where I have to put a quart in every gas fill-up.

We checked the coolant reservoir, and it looks oil-free. There is never any oil underneath the car, and it doesn't show the signs that it is burning it like it did with the other engine.

Some other issues that I believe to be related:
- Idles low (especially after driving a bit and stopped at red lights)
- Check engine light comes on at least once every 200 miles with the P0420 code (catalytic system efficiency below threshold)

Some things we checked and/or observations:
- Checked the cat. converter...looks fine, as well as the 2nd O2 sensor.
- Checked the timing, seems spot-on (timed it again to be sure).
- Checked for worn valve guide seals...looks fine
- Checked PCV...looks fine
- Checked for worn rings with a compression test (little more clearance, but within limits)
- Unhooked the battery for 12 hours (to do a computer reset)

I don't really know what direction to go from here... I thought maybe the TPS or the IACV valve, but seems unlikely. My buddy said I might consider switching to some different oil...10w-30 or 10w-40 ...but this will only slow the problem, not solve it. He also suggested that I clean the throttle body with some carb cleaner, considering the car was burning a lot of oil for a few months and might still have some build-up. Also, possibly check the 1st O2 sensor (causing the wrong fuel ratio to be delivered?).

I feel like I could keep chasing my tail with this problem forever and never really get to the bottom of it ... So any advice on what to do next would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Note: Just went out and checked the spark plugs, they have a white buildup on them already...proof that the car is running lean? I am unsure.
Old 05-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: civic losing oil and idling a little low...advice?

www.auto-rx.com is worth a try. then switch to valvoline maxlife oil.
Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Check or replace the primary O2 sensor. I recommend OEM as Hondas are real finicky about the O2 sensors. I suspect it's making the engine run lean causing oil to seep past the rings, which is burning in the cylinder(s), which is causing the P0420 code. Also, a good engine cleaner for the buildup, like posted above, would be a good idea.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

coolbum72 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks a lot, I'll give both a try and see what happens
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Brenden is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a NTK o2 sensor for mine and it runs Soooo much better now....