Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda P0420 P1259 P0141 Cel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sethrich89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda P0420 P1259 P0141 Cel

Hello everyone Thanks in advance for your help, I really need it right now.

03 Honda Civic Ex

So i started getting the CEL and maint req'd Light about 6 months ago. But only for P0420 Bank 2, (not bank 1.) I neglected the issue because it had a new cat put in 2 yrs ago someone told me it was just a faulty code. I see now that was bad advice.

Anyway recently I ordered a Denso After cat 02 sensor (NP2344122 from carparts.com). I think i put the sensor in the wrong place yesterday, in bank 1, the one right near the cat under the car, and drove the car roughly 25 miles total auto zone. It read the codes listed below so went home and put the old one back in. I tried to put the new sensor in the spot nearest to the bumper but he connection wont fit. It looks like it should fit, but just wont connect all the way. So I just put the old one back in.
I tried to drive it to get it scanned this morning to see if the codes had changed, now it will barley drive at all. No power acts like it will stall, barley got it home.
Also i have a vtec solenoid i pulled off a car at the junk yard. But I don't think that is causing all the problems.

1) So what did putting that sensor in the wrong place do?
2) And what do i need to do now?
3)Is it ok to drive 5 miles to the auto store to get it scanned?

Also It wasn't driving bad at all before, sometimes a little choppy getting up to speed but not much at all.

P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below threshold (Bank 1)
p1259 VTEC SYSTEM FAILURE
P0141 HO2S-12 (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction

Last edited by Sethrich89; 02-04-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Didnt mean to submit when I did.
Old 02-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda P0420 P1259 P0141 Cel

I now have codes
Did I miss something here?

Does anyone else see more text in the post than what I copied here?
Old 02-04-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sethrich89
Hello everyone Thanks in advance for your help, I really need it right now.

03 Honda Civic Ex

So i started getting the CEL and maint req'd Light about 6 months ago. But only for P0420 Bank 2, (not bank 1.) I neglected the issue because it had a new cat put in 2 yrs ago someone told me it was just a faulty code. I see now that was bad advice.

Anyway recently I ordered a Denso After cat 02 sensor (NP2344122 from carparts.com). I think i put the sensor in the wrong place yesterday, in bank 1, the one right near the cat under the car, and drove the car roughly 25 miles total auto zone. It read the codes listed below so went home and put the old one back in. I tried to put the new sensor in the spot nearest to the bumper but he connection wont fit. It looks like it should fit, but just wont connect all the way. So I just put the old one back in.
I tried to drive it to get it scanned this morning to see if the codes had changed, now it will barley drive at all. No power acts like it will stall, barley got it home.
Also i have a vtec solenoid i pulled off a car at the junk yard. But I don't think that is causing all the problems.

1) So what did putting that sensor in the wrong place do?
2) And what do i need to do now?
3)Is it ok to drive 5 miles to the auto store to get it scanned?

Also It wasn't driving bad at all before, sometimes a little choppy getting up to speed but not much at all.

P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below threshold (Bank 1)
p1259 VTEC SYSTEM FAILURE
P0141 HO2S-12 (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction

Because when I hit the quote button I found an entire post.
Old 02-04-2017

Last edited by Sethrich89; 19 Minutes Ago at 01:00 PM. Reason: Didnt mean to submit when I did.
Oh ok, now I get it.

P1259 code, check oil level first. Most common cause is low pressure due to low oil level. If oil level is full and code continues to reset after clearing fault memory, then you have some troubleshooting to do.

Is the lack of power caused by a low rev limiter (fault code induced)? Erase code and find out.

According to the DENSO website http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-pa...icle-selection
234-4122 is upstream sensor. (B1S1)
234-4621 is the downstream sensor (B1S2) for code P0141. (D17A2 engine)

The cat code was set before the sensor failed. The replacement cat was low priced? Many of those don't keep the computer happy for very long.
If the engine ever had misfires or overfueling problems, that can ruin a cat too.

Last edited by ezone; 02-04-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Oh ok, now I get it.

P1259 code, check oil level first. Most common cause is low pressure due to low oil level. If oil level is full and code continues to reset after clearing fault memory, then you have some troubleshooting to do.

Is the lack of power caused by a low rev limiter (fault code induced)? Erase code and find out.

According to the DENSO website http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-pa...icle-selection
234-4122 is upstream sensor. (B1S1)
234-4621 is the downstream sensor (B1S2) for code P0141. (D17A2 engine)

The cat code was set before the sensor failed. The replacement cat was low priced? Many of those don't keep the computer happy for very long.
If the engine ever had misfires or overfueling problems, that can ruin a cat too.

Damn man you are spot on again with the diagnosis. If you were a doctor - your patients would be fit as a fiddles!
Old 02-06-2017

Originally Posted by NDNV
If you were a doctor - your patients would be fit as a fiddles!
Doctors bury their mistakes.

I can't get away with that.
Old 02-07-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Doctors bury their mistakes.

I can't get away with that.
Unfortunately, not all mechanics are as ethical as you. Some mechanics have no problem hiding their screw-ups while expecting payment for a job not-so well done.