Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Codes P1361 & P0420

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gettinthatfosho is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Codes P1361 & P0420

I have a 2002 Honda Civic Lx

I just went to Advanced and I got the codes P1361 - Ignition System or Misfire and P0420 - Catalytic efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)

Here's a little about my problem:

A few months ago I would be driving my car and all the sudden it would slow down and would not accelerate over 25mph and the RMPs would rev to 6000. When I would open the hood right by the O2 sensor would be glowing red. My Dad who used to be a mechanic said my catalytic converter was clogged. So he put my car on ramps and took the two spring bolts off and took my exhaust pipe off and cleared it out. My car no longer drops the speed anymore nor does the heads get red hot.

Now every now and then while I'm driving my car starts to sputter like it is running out of gas and eventually dies. I can not crank it for about 15-20 minutes and then it will run like a champ until the next time it acts up.

I believe that it is my fuel pump, I think it is a little odd that 01-05 civics don't have a fuel filter or so says Advanced. That makes sense for it to me to be the fuel pump because when it gets hot it is shutting off the car. But I could be wrong. Maybe it has something to do with my Ignition Coil, I have no idea!

Anyone else have this problem or these codes? HELP!

Last edited by gettinthatfosho; 01-14-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Codes P1361 & P0420

yeah he is right about the cat, the LX models have it built in the manifold and they have all sorts of issues. if he cleaned the cat out, then its prolly not working like its supposed to cleaning the exhaust, so the o2 sensor is telling you the cat is bad. thats prolly not an issue unless you have to get a smog check, in which case you need a new cat. for the misfires, do you actually feel them? does the car start to shake at all and run rough? try easy things first like new ngk spark plugs. also test the ignition coils for resistance. all 4 should be around the same resistance reading when you check the terminals with an ohm meter. are you losing coolant from overflow tank but there is nothing leaking out on the ground? is the car hard to start cold sometimes and runs rough right after starting? if so, it may be blown headgasket. if not, then yeah fuel delivery problem like clogged injectors or low fuel pressure from a bad pump. check fuel pressure first before replacing pump tho. and yes the strainer/filter is inside the fuel pump assembly.