Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

check engine light code P2646

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jessica19699 is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine light code P2646

Hello today as I was driving home and I hit a heavy rain storm and a few mins later my check engine light came on, after driving a few more mins my speed seemed to drop from 70 to 60 and the rpms shot up a bit it also started to bog down some the car was kind of rocking back n forth for about 10 miles, I then came to a traffic accident which I had to slow way down after getting through the accident I was able to gain speed back up to 70(the speed limit) I then carefully finished the drive to my house. A few miles from my house I tried gunning it some and the car seemed to bog down again so I let off the gas and it was fine. When I got back to town I took the car to advanced auto parts store where they put a code reader on the car and the error code read..P2646 A rocker arm actuator control system performance stuck off(bank 1)..has any one seen this before and if so what does this mean I tried to find a part to replace a rocker actuator but I couldn't find anything on it, I even called a local Honda dealer and told them the error and they said the only thing they could find on it was a bad oil pressure switch or need to fill the oil, the oil was checked and filled, I'm not sure where to go from here a local mechanic told me one of the rocker actuator is bad and he would need to open the head and replace the one in bank 1 like it states is bad. Does anyone have an other ideas or can tell me what part I might need to replace to get this fixed?any help is appreciated.
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Re: check engine light code P2646

by the way I forgot to state the car is a Honda civic ex 2004 sorry
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

is it vtec?

clean your vtec and change your oil,

this video is for a different car but might apply to your situation.....

Old 07-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Step 1: Turn the ignition switch OFF
Step 2: Check the oil level
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Step 1: Turn the ignition switch OFF
Step 2: Check the oil level
good point

i guess i assumed they knew the obvious

Old 07-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
i guess i assumed they knew the obvious
P.S. I can't read either LOL

The OP did say

the oil was checked and filled,
But OP did not state how low it was, and it makes me wonder if filling the oil and clearing the code would resolve the problem.

a local mechanic told me one of the rocker actuator is bad and he would need to open the head and replace the one in bank 1 like it states is bad
This person scares the **** out of me.
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
This person scares the **** out of me.

Old 07-28-2015
Registered!!

Yes Mikey1 it is a vetch, I will try what you said the car seems to be riding fine now but the light is still on. Thanks again
Old 07-29-2015
Registered!!

Well I'm not sure what happened but yesterday I was going to have the oil changed and no sooner than I pulled into the garage lot the check engine light went out on its own I still had oil changed of course, I also drove the car to and from work yesterday and it drove fine, so as of now I'm assuming it is working ok and it fixed itself or at least until it happens again(hopefully not) but anyway thanks again guys. I have another on going issue with my a/c but I will create a whole new thread for that.
Old 07-29-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jessica19699
I'm assuming it is working ok and it fixed itself