Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

code P1259-replacement options

Old 06-23-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fyrfytrryn is an unknown quantity at this point
code P1259-replacement options

Hey guys!
I posted up on here a while back about my 03' civic EX having overheating problems, (thanks for the tips turboengnr) as well as the immobilizer giving me woes (which it still is!) among others (steering rack went 2 times, strut bushings once, air box bolts, theres more believe it or not). well ive developed a new problem. here goes nothing.
basics...
2003 civic EX/automatic/just turned 103,456
2 weeks ago i was on my way to a wedding, ac on full kill, and on an uphill. taking off from a stop sign the thing fell on its face, then revved to 4000 RPM and the CE light went on (assuming limp mode?) 5 miles later it revved fine and CE light shut off. i just thought it was having an off day. weird. well 3 days ago it did it again, in the same spot, with the AC on. this time the light didn't go off. i went and scanned the obd2 and got code p1259. looked up the codes on this site and all related posts. so far ive checked the oil, replaced the filter screen in the housing, and checked all connectors. i then re-scanned and erased the code, then about an hour ago it threw the code again. ive called honda to ask for suggestions and the service tech i talked to said its attributed to low oil, and thats all hes ever had to do with that code. well its definitely not low, and i just changed it. well, as far as i have found out, at most with this code ill have to replace the entire "spool". this is a $98.87 part that includes the housing, solenoid, gasket, filter, and switch. so my question, is there any way to check the solenoid (the one with a blue wire that sits on top) and the switch (the one that threads into the housing on the side) before buying it all? suggestions? do i just buy the unit and assume thats all that can be throwing the p1259 code? thanks for the help in advance again guys, much appreciated.

Last edited by fyrfytrryn; 06-23-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2007
Registered!!

Re: code P1259-replacement options

obtained the trouble shooting procedure from a friend at honda, all points to a faulty ECM, which is 700.00. any one know where i can get one on the cheap? i hate this car.
Old 06-26-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

keep checking eBay. there are usually a couple for sale on there. i just checked now, and there aren't any right now, so keep looking. you could do the salvage yard thing, too.
Old 06-26-2007
Registered!!

figured, im just tired of this effin thing. it actually feels like it runs fine. and it only runs in limp mode sometimes. ive got an appt @ honda tomorrow to get a definite diagnosis. ive gone as far as i can go with my tools. the light turns on and off, car runs perfect then slips into limp mode. i dont get it. if i knew what was wrong i could fix it, but shes being a pain in my a**.
Old 06-27-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

im actually trying to find a new pcm/ecu and theres always one or more on car-part.com<---check it out 150 bucks for a used pcm
take your pcm out before you go looking tho and get the serial number they need to match
Old 06-27-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 02civic21
im actually trying to find a new pcm/ecu and theres always one or more on car-part.com<---check it out 150 bucks for a used pcm
take your pcm out before you go looking tho and get the serial number they need to match
The serial number is always going to be different. Just make sure you get one for an 01-03 ex AT and you'll be good to go. But remember that you'll have to take it to honda and reprogram the immobilizer for the new ECU to work with your current key.
Old 06-27-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

hey i was told that they were supposed to match or something. hmm so thats not true?
Old 06-27-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone was talking out of their *** or you misunderstood.
Old 06-28-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

talking out of their *** i suspect.
Old 06-28-2007
Registered!!

i hate spreen honda. took it to them yesterday @ 7:00a. i told the service advisor that i KNEW it was a p1259 code, and i KNEW it was a vtec system malfunction (but i can be ANYTHING in the vtech, wiring, ECM, ect) but i needed them to check past simple ohm and volt tests that i have already performed, becaus ei had a feeling its NOT the vtec solenoid/switch. he said "will do" and i went on with my day. i get a call back @ 9:00a, the service advisor told me it was a P1259 code which indicated a vtec system malfunction. NO ****! i then asked him " did i not tell you that i already KNOW its a p1259, and that i need you to simple test the oil pressure and ecm since i cannot do them??" he says " oh, well, we cant go on to those tests unless we replace the vtech unit, that will be atleast 1 hr of labor plus the part". i respond "didnt you say you would go further in the test than i was able to" and i got " well i wasnt sure if you knew what you were talking about, and i am not exactly familiar with this specific problem". i told him to get my car ready because i was coming to pick it up. basically i spent 89.00 for them to tell me what i knew. had i known those clowns wouldnt go through the time to test the vtec system as a whole, instead of just throwing parts at it, i wouldnt have taken it.these jokers are giving honda a bad name. i should have learned the first time they screwed me. i purchased the new vtec switch/housing/solenoid, came home cleared the code with my scanner, installed the new vtec unit in less than 20 minutes. drove the car 40+ miles on the 91/60/215/10 freeway and no light, until i was headed home. @ 80% load, 40% throttle, 206 degrees, and 2300 RPM, it threw a p1259 AGAIN. still runs okay, is there a way to simply shut the CE light off? this car is a joke, its getting traded in this weekend, i think im through.

Last edited by fyrfytrryn; 06-28-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Haynkokanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings everyone! I'm new here obviously so please bare with me if I'm not up to speed on how all this works...

Here's the problem, on my '03 civic ex i just replaced my camshaft position sensor, after repairing it the light went off and everything seemed back to normal. After a few days the malfunction light came back on...I hook it up to the code reader and erase the codes for the cam sensor and I found a new code a P1259 code it read P1259 code: "Manufacturer Fuel/Air Metering" on all of these forums like these, they say that this code means Vtech malfunction, or oil pressure problems. So if anyone knows what can be done or knows what the real cause of this code alert is please let me know. Thanks in advance guys for any advice or feedback.
Old 10-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its vtec solenoid malfunction. you can try cleaning the filter screen and make sure the engine oil level is full. otherwise the solenoid will most likely need replacing.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Low oil/oil pressure, or vtec oil pressure switch, or vtec solenoid, or vtec valve, or the vtec filter. There are several tests you can do before you have to disassemble anything.

You want to check the oil pressure switch first, It's this one:
Name:  vtechoilpressureswitch.jpg
Views: 5130
Size:  65.5 KB

Disconnect the 2P vtec oil pressure switch. Use a DMM (digital Multi-meter) to check continuity (ohms) between terminals 1 and 2 on the connector:
Name:  vtecoilswitch.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  68.2 KB

Is there continuity?
No- replace vtec oil pressure switch
Yes- I'll tell ya next step if we need to go there