Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another Civic door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eddie1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Civic door lock issue

Hi,

My father's Civic (2004, LX, 4Dr) has had an issue with the drivers side door. The locking button doesn't lock the driver door, but locks all others. So, I figured it was the actuator. Took out the actuator, tested it and it functions. I checked the ground and it is fine. Obviously power is getting to the lock button which works to lock/unlock the other doors.

What can I check next? When I listen to the actuator inside to the door, I don't hear it trip. My guess is that it isn't getting power. Any thoughts?

thanks
Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another Civic door lock issue

Do you try and lock the doors with the switch on the driver door while the door is open?
Old 11-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie1976
My guess is that it isn't getting power. Any thoughts?

thanks
test for voltage at the connector to the actuator?
Old 11-08-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Do you try and lock the doors with the switch on the driver door while the door is open?
Yes, I did. It works to lock/unlock the other doors
Old 11-08-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
test for voltage at the connector to the actuator?
I have not, but I have a power probe, so I will use that to give it power. I just didn't want to take the door off right away.
Old 11-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie1976
I have not, but I have a power probe, so I will use that to give it power. I just didn't want to take the door off right away.
door panel removal is simple, its a 5 min job
Old 11-09-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GusBuz
You stated you had tried with drivers door open....the drivers door will not lock (without doing certain procedures) while it is open.
Old 11-10-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
You stated you had tried with drivers door open....the drivers door will not lock (without doing certain procedures) while it is open.
Right, it will not lock the door while open. It will also not lock while door is closed. Remote will not unlock/lock drivers door, but the others work fine.

I feel like I need to take out the harness and check it.
Old 11-10-2016
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Here's a test for the switch at the door to see if it is working like it should you will need a multimeter to test for continuity.
And also a power test for the actuator since you said you have a power probe you can do this one easily.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Switch test.png
Views:	61
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	89234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Switch test2.png
Views:	64
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	89235