Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 civic ex head gasket or cylinder head cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palmetto77 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 civic ex head gasket or cylinder head cost

We recently moved to new state and left mechanic back home who was awesome! Took 04 civic to dealer (terrible,yes) for timing belt, water pump, and drive belt replacement to keep up on maintenace (only have 120k miles).

Had to take back to dealer due to misfire codes the day after car was back with me.... Weeks later.... Yes, dealer has had my car for weeks! Told its either head gasket ($1600 to fix) or worse, cylinder head ($5100 to fix).

What's a reasonable price for these repairs and is it worth it? I'm still trying to figure out how this happened as I had no symptoms! Being female I'm very suspicious of all this...service manager is female also.

Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 civic ex head gasket or cylinder head cost

I had a local shop quote me at $1450 for a head gasket job (mine involved replacing all 16 valves), so $1600 isn't too far off. Replacing the cylinder head will, indeed be a lot more to fix. The list price on a new cylinder head assembly (including valves and rocker assembly) is about $2800, so that kinda justifies the price hike. Someone that works in Honda *ahem* might be able to tell you whether or not that much of a price increase is legit or not.
Old 08-21-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I checked All Data, a mechanics cook book so to speak...

It lists parts price for the Head at $1101.80 (I'm not sure if this is their cost or retail).

And a service time average of 7.3 hours.

Shops around here charge $100+ for labor per hour so I'd guess the Head should cost $3-4000 retail plus $700-$1000 labor.

That's with a brand new head though. you can buy a used engine for $300... So maybe shop around for used/reconditioned heads at parts stores, then find a mechanic to install the part.
Old 08-21-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The $1101.80 that mac25 gave is just the cylinder head and bearing caps. My price was assuming Honda slaps in a whole new complete cylinder head assembly.
Old 08-21-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Right thx J =D.
Old 08-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Someone that works in Honda *ahem* might be able to tell you whether or not that much of a price increase is legit or not.
I don't do numbers man, it's hard enough just fixing the cars.

If this engine was misfiring from the moment OP picked the car up from having the timing belt job done, I'd wonder if someone bent a valve or two.
Of course, nobody would ever 'fess up to something like that, right?
Old 08-21-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezone
I don't do numbers man, it's hard enough just fixing the cars.
I, uh, just had something in my throat at the time and felt the need to transcribe that throat clearing in my post.