Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hydroplaned last week, check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AngeloS can only hope to improve
Hydroplaned last week, check engine light on

Hello everyone,

I currently own a 2004 honda civic sedan with about well over 100k mileage on the engine. I've owned my civic for almost about 7 years now( got it used when I was starting college and plan on keeping it still). For the most part, my car has been kept in good shape, with a few minor problems here and there, but it is still functional. My problem is that I carelessly hydroplaned last week while I was driving on the high way and afraid that something serious may have occurred after. I was going about 60mph when I drove through a deep puddle(visability was low due to the heavy rain). I know I hydroplaned because the car(right side) made a strong heavy noise and the car was shaking. Moments later I heard rumbling noises from under the right side of my car. Additionally, I was running low on gas, but was afraid that my car would break down in the middle of the night so I got home as quickly and as safely as possible. When i got home, I opened the hood of the car and it looked like some water splashed over and under the hood. I then decided to call it a night and prayed that nothing serious happened.

The next morning the car started fine and I was able to put gas in the car. After further inspection with me and my dad, there was a lose pipe from under the car(which may or may not have been the rumbling), so we fixed it and the car has been fine so far. However, recently the check engine had turned on allegedly when my father was driving my car and put gas in it. Today, as a precaution, I went to pep boys and got a free code check. The following codes were read:
PO325
PO135
PO134

My questions to whomever is knowledgable about cars/repairing them, is: 1. Could the engine have been damaged? and 2. What do these codes mean?( I apologize as I only know very basic things about cars, such as fluid checking and what the parts under the hood are). I am praying that my car is fine or minimal damage has been done and that I am just internally "freaking out". My friend who's father is a mechanic said the engine "should be fine" and that my engine did not hydrolock as the car was still running and did not turn off when I was driving.

Thank you all in advance!
Old 06-22-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Hydroplaned last week, check engine light on

Mod/Admin: This post needs to be moved to 7th Gen.

Your engine is probably fine if it's still working. You'd notice hydrolock pretty quickly.
P0134 and 135 are O2 sensor codes. Have you tried pulling them and checking for damage? They sit rather low so water could have affected them, primarily the one on your exhaust manifold.
The knock sensor code is a little weirder. Have you made sure all of the electrical connections are dry and still connected?
Old 06-22-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Mod/admin: post needs to be merged with the other one: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4687564
Old 06-22-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

thanks, Poopies, merged and duplicate removed
Old 06-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

did pepboys clear the codes so you could see if they show up again??
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Mod/Admin: This post needs to be moved to 7th Gen.

Your engine is probably fine if it's still working. You'd notice hydrolock pretty quickly.
P0134 and 135 are O2 sensor codes. Have you tried pulling them and checking for damage? They sit rather low so water could have affected them, primarily the one on your exhaust manifold.
The knock sensor code is a little weirder. Have you made sure all of the electrical connections are dry and still connected?
Hi poopies, and thank you for answering.

When it comes to fixing and repairing cars, I am a complete novice and barely know the ins and outs of doing so. Would you kindly instruct me on how to pull and check them for damage? Or do you know of any youtube videos that shows how to? I will do my own research on how to do so as well. Anyways, thank you so much for identifying what these codes mean!

EDIT: Just found a video on youtube, I will pull and unplug and plug them tomorrow, and update tomorrow

Last edited by AngeloS; 06-24-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
did pepboys clear the codes so you could see if they show up again??
Hi Alex_nyc,

I believe pepboys did clear the codes, but the check engine light still came on.
Thanks for you reply!
Old 07-13-2015
Registered!!

Hi guys,

So I checked both upstream and downstream 02 sensors and gave them a quick tug and pull, I didn't get to take out the downstream one( under the hood of the car?) because I had difficulty getting an angle with the wrench from under but I managed to take out the upstream one out and plug it back in. I also cleaned under the hood of my car. Check engine is still on, however the car still runs fine. Does anyone know any place where I can order cheap but reliable O2 sensors? Most places I went to, said upstream were around 150 dollars and that they had to order them in. I'm wondering if this is normal or if I can find cheaper prices online. Also, how do I check the knock sensor?
Old 07-13-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AngeloS
Does anyone know any place where I can order cheap but reliable O2 sensors?
That's how much the correct ones cost. Amazon may have them cheaper.
Old 07-16-2015
Registered!!

UPDATE: So I switched the upstream O2 sensor with a new one and the check engine light seemed to have went away. However, my father was tinkering with the hood opening button and actually broke the button( it's completely off) and now I can't open my hood. Anyone know of any quick fixes? The reason my father was tinkering with the open hood button is that my hood wouldn't close properly. So now I've got two more problems, the actual button coming off and a hood that is not closing properly.

Looks like my car is not as "mint" as I thought it was . If anyone has useful advice please feel free to comment. BTW thanks for all the advice regarding the O2 sensors!
Old 07-16-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
That's how much the correct ones cost. Amazon may have them cheaper.
Thanks! Me and my father actually bought it at a local store around the area and got it for about the same price. I was doing some research and came across a site named rockauto which was highly raved about. The next time I need parts, I will definitely go to rockauto.com and order there.
Old 07-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngeloS
my father was tinkering with the hood opening button and actually broke the button( it's completely off) and now I can't open my hood. Anyone know of any quick fixes? The reason my father was tinkering with the open hood button is that my hood wouldn't close properly.
Carry pliers and a screwdriver?

For the hood not closing, most of the time it's the fault of the release cable.
That would also take care of the broken handle.

The cable is only USD$12.62 MSRP at any decent Honda dealer.

It's even less online, but shipping probably kills that savings.

LINK:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...&catcgry5=HOOD

(item #7 in the link above)