Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Hydroplaned last week, check engine light on (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/364388-hydroplaned-last-week-check-engine-light.html)

AngeloS 06-22-2015 07:14 PM

Hydroplaned last week, check engine light on

Hello everyone,

I currently own a 2004 honda civic sedan with about well over 100k mileage on the engine. I've owned my civic for almost about 7 years now( got it used when I was starting college and plan on keeping it still). For the most part, my car has been kept in good shape, with a few minor problems here and there, but it is still functional. My problem is that I carelessly hydroplaned last week while I was driving on the high way and afraid that something serious may have occurred after. I was going about 60mph when I drove through a deep puddle(visability was low due to the heavy rain). I know I hydroplaned because the car(right side) made a strong heavy noise and the car was shaking. Moments later I heard rumbling noises from under the right side of my car. Additionally, I was running low on gas, but was afraid that my car would break down in the middle of the night so I got home as quickly and as safely as possible. When i got home, I opened the hood of the car and it looked like some water splashed over and under the hood. I then decided to call it a night and prayed that nothing serious happened.

The next morning the car started fine and I was able to put gas in the car. After further inspection with me and my dad, there was a lose pipe from under the car(which may or may not have been the rumbling), so we fixed it and the car has been fine so far. However, recently the check engine had turned on allegedly when my father was driving my car and put gas in it. Today, as a precaution, I went to pep boys and got a free code check. The following codes were read:
PO325
PO135
PO134

My questions to whomever is knowledgable about cars/repairing them, is: 1. Could the engine have been damaged? and 2. What do these codes mean?( I apologize as I only know very basic things about cars, such as fluid checking and what the parts under the hood are). I am praying that my car is fine or minimal damage has been done and that I am just internally "freaking out". My friend who's father is a mechanic said the engine "should be fine" and that my engine did not hydrolock as the car was still running and did not turn off when I was driving.

Thank you all in advance!

Poopies 06-22-2015 08:38 PM

Re: Hydroplaned last week, check engine light on

Mod/Admin: This post needs to be moved to 7th Gen.

Your engine is probably fine if it's still working. You'd notice hydrolock pretty quickly.
P0134 and 135 are O2 sensor codes. Have you tried pulling them and checking for damage? They sit rather low so water could have affected them, primarily the one on your exhaust manifold.
The knock sensor code is a little weirder. Have you made sure all of the electrical connections are dry and still connected?

Poopies 06-22-2015 08:38 PM

Mod/admin: post needs to be merged with the other one: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4687564

sdaidoji 06-22-2015 08:47 PM

thanks, Poopies, merged and duplicate removed

alex_nyc 06-23-2015 12:32 AM

did pepboys clear the codes so you could see if they show up again??

AngeloS 06-24-2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Poopies (Post 4687566)
Mod/Admin: This post needs to be moved to 7th Gen.

Your engine is probably fine if it's still working. You'd notice hydrolock pretty quickly.
P0134 and 135 are O2 sensor codes. Have you tried pulling them and checking for damage? They sit rather low so water could have affected them, primarily the one on your exhaust manifold.
The knock sensor code is a little weirder. Have you made sure all of the electrical connections are dry and still connected?

Hi poopies, and thank you for answering.

When it comes to fixing and repairing cars, I am a complete novice and barely know the ins and outs of doing so. Would you kindly instruct me on how to pull and check them for damage? Or do you know of any youtube videos that shows how to? I will do my own research on how to do so as well. Anyways, thank you so much for identifying what these codes mean!

EDIT: Just found a video on youtube, I will pull and unplug and plug them tomorrow, and update tomorrow

AngeloS 06-24-2015 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by alex_nyc (Post 4687609)
did pepboys clear the codes so you could see if they show up again??

Hi Alex_nyc,

I believe pepboys did clear the codes, but the check engine light still came on.
Thanks for you reply!

AngeloS 07-13-2015 08:11 AM

Hi guys,

So I checked both upstream and downstream 02 sensors and gave them a quick tug and pull, I didn't get to take out the downstream one( under the hood of the car?) because I had difficulty getting an angle with the wrench from under but I managed to take out the upstream one out and plug it back in. I also cleaned under the hood of my car. Check engine is still on, however the car still runs fine. Does anyone know any place where I can order cheap but reliable O2 sensors? Most places I went to, said upstream were around 150 dollars and that they had to order them in. I'm wondering if this is normal or if I can find cheaper prices online. Also, how do I check the knock sensor?

GolNat 07-13-2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by AngeloS (Post 4689063)
Does anyone know any place where I can order cheap but reliable O2 sensors?

That's how much the correct ones cost. Amazon may have them cheaper.

AngeloS 07-16-2015 10:20 PM

UPDATE: So I switched the upstream O2 sensor with a new one and the check engine light seemed to have went away. However, my father was tinkering with the hood opening button and actually broke the button( it's completely off) and now I can't open my hood. Anyone know of any quick fixes? The reason my father was tinkering with the open hood button is that my hood wouldn't close properly. So now I've got two more problems, the actual button coming off and a hood that is not closing properly.

Looks like my car is not as "mint" as I thought it was :(. If anyone has useful advice please feel free to comment. BTW thanks for all the advice regarding the O2 sensors!

AngeloS 07-16-2015 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4689067)
That's how much the correct ones cost. Amazon may have them cheaper.

Thanks! Me and my father actually bought it at a local store around the area and got it for about the same price. I was doing some research and came across a site named rockauto which was highly raved about. The next time I need parts, I will definitely go to rockauto.com and order there.

ezone 07-16-2015 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by AngeloS (Post 4689267)
my father was tinkering with the hood opening button and actually broke the button( it's completely off) and now I can't open my hood. Anyone know of any quick fixes? The reason my father was tinkering with the open hood button is that my hood wouldn't close properly.

Carry pliers and a screwdriver?

For the hood not closing, most of the time it's the fault of the release cable.
That would also take care of the broken handle.

The cable is only USD$12.62 MSRP at any decent Honda dealer.

It's even less online, but shipping probably kills that savings.

LINK:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...&catcgry5=HOOD

(item #7 in the link above)