Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Light and Radio Cutting On and Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mapdog will become famous soon enough
SRS Light and Radio Cutting On and Off

I have a 2002 LX.

I spray washed inside the engine compartment a while ago and afterwords the SRS light would come on intermittently.

There are no codes. Both times I tried to read codes the light wasn't on.

More recently the radio started joining in on the fun by turning off and on.

Lately the radio and SRS light are acting like the car is being turned on and off by the ignition.

The radio is loosing power but does not loose presets or time.

I often see the SRS light and radio come on at the same time like the car just got started. After a few seconds the SRS light will go out like a normal start up.

I removed the in hood fuse block and made sure there were no problems or shorts. This didn't help.

I'd say the problem is in the ignition switch but the spray wash thing has me thinking the problem is under hood.

The car is running normally.
Old 06-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: SRS Light and Radio Cutting On and Off

start by disconnecting the battery, short both battery connectors together.....then wait for 30 mins and reconnect
Old 06-17-2015
Registered!!

Interesting. I've never heard of anything like that before but I'll give it a try.
Old 06-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Get a volt meter and connect to the battery.
When the SRS light comes on, see what the voltage reads.
Old 06-18-2015
Registered!!

If the battery disconnected and ground together was to clear the computer. I think that it is a no go. It seems to still be doing it.

I do have a Fluke voltmeter but it's going to be difficult to catch it in the act of coming on and going off.

I feel sure there is a short somewhere. I just can't figure out where being that it is only the SRS and the Radio systems.

The radio is getting continuous power, however, the ignition power is shorting somewhere.
Old 06-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but it's going to be difficult to catch it in the act of coming on and going off.

SRS light will come on and leave no codes if the charging voltage is extremely high.
The radio might cut out under the same condition, IDK I've never witnessed this.

Connect meter, place inside and drive around. You could connect to the data link connector, you might connect to the cig lighter socket if it has one. Connect to something with battery positive so you can monitor system voltage while sitting inside the car.

If you see the SRS light come on and also find the vehicle voltage is 16v or above, you probably need an alternator.
Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Thanks ezone. Awesome information and now that I know how, it'll be easy. I never even considered alternator but I'll know soon.
Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

I spray washed inside the engine compartment a while ago
Worst thing you can do for your car.... Unless you have taken hours to properly prep it for such a cleaning. Just get in there next time with a rag and some engine de-greaser if you feel so inclined. A little dirt never hurt anything btw.... Your problem is almost absolutely related to your washing... Probably shorted something out by getting water where it shouldn't have gotten, especially around the alternator..... Get a little water between the magnets and you will short it out! Can you put water into an electric motor and expect it to work? No... you can't...
Old 06-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
Worst thing you can do for your car.... Unless you have taken hours to properly prep it for such a cleaning. Just get in there next time with a rag and some engine de-greaser if you feel so inclined. A little dirt never hurt anything btw.... Your problem is almost absolutely related to your washing... Probably shorted something out by getting water where it shouldn't have gotten, especially around the alternator..... Get a little water between the magnets and you will short it out! Can you put water into an electric motor and expect it to work? No... you can't...
I couldn't disagree with you more. The engine compartment can be cleaned and modern cars are absolutely designed for water intrusion.

The problem was 100% the alternator as another forum member correctly pointed out. The car and the alternator has 263000 miles on it. However, the engine is sparkling clean.
Old 06-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
SRS light will come on and leave no codes if the charging voltage is extremely high.
The radio might cut out under the same condition, IDK I've never witnessed this.

Connect meter, place inside and drive around. You could connect to the data link connector, you might connect to the cig lighter socket if it has one. Connect to something with battery positive so you can monitor system voltage while sitting inside the car.

If you see the SRS light come on and also find the vehicle voltage is 16v or above, you probably need an alternator.
Thanks so much, Ezone. The alternator was popping volts in the high 16 and 17v range. A new alternator fixed my problem. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.