Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

interchangable ECUs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
interchangable ECUs?

I'm looking for a '02 ECU for my car. VTEC, manual tranny, SRS.

On LKQ I put in the regular stuff to search by car then it has a filter to pick your engine type, tranny type, etc. When I do that it says an '03 computer fits my description. And in the fitment tab it says it will fit an '01-'03.

My question is if anyone has tried using computer from a different year, yet the characteristics of the car were the exact same? I know the 03 has the same engine as the 02 but has a different dash.

If I go to majestic honda's site and look up the same part for an '01,'02,'03 it has 3 different parts. But LKQ and most of the ones I can find on ebay all say they work for '01-'03. So just looking for some possible clarification if anyone knows.
Old 04-05-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: interchangable ECUs?

ezone was out the last days sick...

I think the 3 ecus might have to do with the trans type? or maybe between the sedan/coupe. hunh, maybe not, 02 have same for sedan/coupe...

up to 2003, i think the difference is the wideband O2 sensor.

not enough info...

37820-PLR-417 02 CNTRL MODULE, ENG for your 2002 Honda CIVIC COUPE EX with a 5 Speed Manual. CNTRL MODULE, ENG for your 2002 Honda CIVIC SEDAN EX with a 5 Speed Manua
37820-PLR-315 01 CNTRL MODULE,ENG for your 2001 Honda CIVIC COUPE EX with a 5 Speed Manual.
37820-PLR-317 01 CNTRL MODULE, ENG for your 2001 Honda CIVIC COUPE EX with a 5 Speed Manual
37820-PLR-A01 01 CONTROL MODULE, ENGINE (REWRITABLE) for your 2001 Honda CIVIC COUPE EX with a 5 Speed Manual.
37820-PLR-405 03 CNTRL MODULE, ENG for your 2003 Honda CIVIC COUPE EX with a 5 Speed Manual.
Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. I ordered 03 ECU with the exact same engine/tranny specs so we will see what happens. Yeah I saw in a Hondata thread that the 04/05 models use different O2 sensors. So it looks like the 01-03 are interchangeable and 04/05 are interchangeable. But I'll be sure the grill the Honda techs when I go to get it reprogrammed and will report my findings.
Old 04-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The factory parts catalog does not work the same as an interchange manual (Hollander, for one). The factory catalog of course will tell what part number fits one car, but can't always tell what else could be used or what other years can be swapped, or what particular differences are.
Old 05-02-2015
Registered!!

just following up. got the ECU replaced about 2 weeks ago. car's been back in business since then and running good.

The computer I got came out of an '03. I couldn't find any definitive information about which computers are interchangeable but from research it seems the 01-03 will work as long as the donor car has the same engine and trans as your car has. 04-05 has different 02 sensors than the 01-03 so they will not work in older cars. But I'm assuming you could swap between the 04 and 05 as long as the donor car has the same engine and trans.

Here's a picture of what the inside of the ECU looks like if anyone is interested:

Name:  c3166cb0-3177-4c47-a382-017cd546c22d.jpg
Views: 4888
Size:  213.7 KB

and here's a link to the problem that I was having.

Cause of the problem was a loose alternator. After it happened I remember tightening the tensioner bolt but not tightening the alternator back down to the car. So make sure your alternator is bolted down tight after taking it off the car. I had driven the car for a few days and then on the way home from work I was taking off from the stop light and then battery light flashed on, CEL came on, engine died. Then would only run as you seen in the video.
Old 05-02-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ain't it amazing how much damage a stupid loose bolt can cause?

Glad you got it fixed. Care to share how much it cost to program and if you had your dealer do it or someone else?
Old 05-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Ain't it amazing how much damage a stupid loose bolt can cause?

Glad you got it fixed. Care to share how much it cost to program and if you had your dealer do it or someone else?

Yeah it was $150 for computer from LKQ. A local junk yard one but they didn't know if it worked and wouldn't sell with a warranty so I was hesitant to buy it. LKQ has a 6month warranty.

Tow to the dealership was $100.

Reprogramming and a spare key was $130 and the local dealership.

Pretty expensive fix for a loose bolt but you live and you learn right?
Old 05-02-2015

Originally Posted by drhawkinz

Pretty expensive fix for a loose bolt but you live and you learn right?
I bet you learned a lot for that price LOL

Some shops (mechanics) never get the opportunity to learn from their mistakes
(meaning never having to cover the cost of repairs from their mistakes $$$$).

Was that video your own?
Old 05-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Was that video your own?
No. I just happened to come across it when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the car. I figured the computer was blown when I couldn't connect my scan tool to it but this seemed to confirm it.