Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver's Side water leak (A pillar)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diggher is an unknown quantity at this point
Driver's Side water leak (A pillar)

My 05 LX has been leaking into the cabin, with the water entering around the A pillar on the driver's side. I've done a bunch of searching but can only find solutions to leaks near the floor boards. I can see water saturation near the change from cloth to plastic on the interior of the car, and it drips from the lowest point when there is enough rain.

I brought it in to have a the windshield checked and was told that the windshield wasn't the issue, though I did end up replacing it because it was flexing overmuch according to the guy (and hey it's 10 years old and I like to see). Brought it to a non-Honda dealership on the recommendation of some locals and they were unable to determine the origin of the leak.

The vehicle was in an accident four and a half years go involving the driver's side (low impact- no air bag) that necessitated the replacement of the hood, front quarter panel and bumper but no mechanical impact and it did not appear to affect the body beyond minor crumpling in those areas. The leak didn't start until last summer.

Possibly related to water getting into the car: the driver door electric lock stopped working last week and does not respond to the keyfob or the interior button- manual key/depression only. However, the rest of the locks will respond to both key fob and interior button if the driver's door lock is unlocked.

Any suggestions/thoughts on how to identify the leak location/possible fixes? Any advice is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	87533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	1743
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	87534  
Old 03-05-2015
Registered!!

diggher is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Driver's Side water leak (A pillar)

And before it comes up- no sun or moon roof.
Old 03-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

no sun or moon roof
Well there goes my best idea.

Assuming it leaks in during a normal rain: About the only ways I can think water could ever get in at the top of the A pillar is through a poorly sealed windshield, or maybe rust through under a drip rail trim.

Or maybe previous shoddy bodywork. I've seen some horrible botched work from DIYers hacks and shady bodyshops.

Pull the pillar trim, visor, and headliner down to see, get a mirror and flashlight, and have someone hose down the car?

If it leaks in while driving at hghway speed, I'd still suspect windshield sealant....just maybe not at the top.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Peter123456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Did you ever find the cause of the leak? Everything you described is exactly what I have going on with my 05 LX. Even the door locks are faulty. I'd really like to hear any suggestions you may have, thanks in advance!

Peter