Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda civic 02 EX grinding noise from under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiac is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda civic 02 EX grinding noise from under the hood

I can hear the grinding noise from under the hood, either when I am standing in front of the engine, or if I drive slowly on local road, or wait for red light. I can't hear it once driving on the highway most likely due to the highway noise is louder.

Basic the noise is not related to driving, or turning the wheel, or give some gas, or apply the brake... It happened when the car is idling. The rhythm is not even, but definitely I can hear once or twice every 5 seconds.

the picture, audio/video recording is here:
http://imgur.com/a/foIqA

Thank you for your help!
Old 04-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda civic 02 EX grinding noise from under the hood

Does the noise change substantially if the AC compressor is running? (huge clue)

Put a stethoscope (real or improvised) on the body of the AC compressor and listen. Same for alternator. Where is the noise the loudest?

Remove the AC/Alternator belt and see if unusual noise is gone.

Spin the AC compressor pulley by hand and listen for roughness and feel for excessive play/movement of a failing bearing.

Spin alternator pulley listen for the same issues.

From the recordings I'd suspect the compressor pulley bearing is failing, and if you watch it carefully you may be able to see it wobble rapidly side to side during the times the noise is loudest.
Old 04-30-2017
Registered!!

Hello ezone,

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate your help!

I am going to buy stethoscope

here is the audio recording (AC turned on at 20th seconds):
I can't dintinguish whether noise changed or notif the AC compressor is running. What do you think?

as far as remove the AC/Alternator belt, I am not sure which one is ac belt or alternator belt. here is a picture I take:
https://imgur.com/a/DY498

Once again, Thank you very much!
Old 04-30-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to buy stethoscope
just hold a long screwdriver or maybe a wooden dowel to your ear, sound will travel through it to your ear.
Or buy one.

recording....I can't tell a difference, but I was only hoping for a very easy clue. Continue.

Picture:
Top unit is power steering pump.
Alternator is correctly labeled.
AC compressor is below the alternator, AC and alternator share the same belt.

Name:  OBZfLBe.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  141.8 KB
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Is this a manual trans? Input shaft/throwout bearing?
Check the components that are driven by the belts: PS pump, alternator, A/C compressor (mentioned above), timing belt tensioner, idler, water pump etc. What has been the timing belt service history?
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Hi NDNV,

Thank you for replying!

this is auto trans. whining/grinding noise happen when I parked and engine idle.
I am not sure if I have Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing, are they related to transmission/clutch?

the car is about 115k miles, I didn't change timing belt.

Does the noise related to mechanic part, or dirty fluid most likely?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Hi ezone,

AC compressor is not visible from the top, how can I access it? can I assume I need to go under the car then touch one end of wooden dowel to the AC compressor?
Old 05-01-2017

I am not sure if I have Throw out bearing or input shaft bearing,
That's only on manual trans, which you do not have.

AC compressor is not visible from the top, how can I access it?
Parts of the compressor are visible from the top. Follow the big aluminum pipe downward to the compressor.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Many thanks ezone, i found the compressor
Old 05-01-2017

Originally Posted by hiac
Many thanks ezone, i found the compressor
Is the noise louder or loudest when placing the stethoscope (or dowel or screwdriver, whatever you are using) on the compressor?
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Hi ezone,

I use a hollow plastic pipe, one end touch the components (engine, alternator, compressor...) the alternator is louder.

I provide some additional information here. Can you do me a favor to take a look and suggest what might be the next step.

http://imgur.com/a/UZTGM

I will bring it to another shop maybe Thursday to have different opinion. It almost seems when I drive for a few miles (10 mile or longer), the noise is less obvious. but at home it's cool down, it become louder. I am going to do couple of more test to see if that's the pattern.

Many thanks for your help. Really appreciate
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Strongly recommend you do the timing belt service ASAP with tensioner, waterpump, accessory belts, coolant and thermostat on your 2002 with 115,000 miles if not done as you say. Also check the seals while in there for leaking.
Old 05-02-2017

Originally Posted by hiac
Hi ezone,

I use a hollow plastic pipe, one end touch the components (engine, alternator, compressor...) the alternator is louder.

I provide some additional information here. Can you do me a favor to take a look and suggest what might be the next step.

http://imgur.com/a/UZTGM

I will bring it to another shop maybe Thursday to have different opinion. It almost seems when I drive for a few miles (10 mile or longer), the noise is less obvious. but at home it's cool down, it become louder. I am going to do couple of more test to see if that's the pattern.

Many thanks for your help. Really appreciate
I heard some intermittent noise under the hood for couple of months (Honda civic 02, EX), and preliminary troubleshooting suggest it's from alternator. the pin outside the alternator caught my attention, not sure what's for.

Uploaded 13 hr

here is the paper clip, about 2x4 inch. The only explanation I found online is from this article: http://arrc.ebscohost.com/ebsco_stat...Alternator.htm it talk about BAT terminal, FLD terminal which I have no clue. But this caught my attention: "grounding F terminal remove the regulator from circuit and forces full alternator output". ***Question #4*** should the paper clip remain there ( to serve some purpose), or it simply a technician made a mistake and he should removed it after some testing ? btw: I found following image from youtube, it has similar layout of my alternator. To best of my knowledge, the paper clip is connecting these two spot (marked as arrow)

Summary: 1) I went to 3 shops, when they do the checkup, the noise is not obvious, and they all feel there is nothing to worry. 2) the pin was attached to alternator (not sure how long), what's that for? 3) one technician knock out the paper clip while engine is running. Should I put i back? 4) autozone and o'reilly's battery test suggest battery is bad but also show "full", they could not explain. Should I replace battery as step 1 and see if that will fix the noise issue?

(^Copied from imigur link^)

Throw away the paper clip, it should not be where you found it.
I would guess it was probably used to jump a relay socket or similar electrical jumper elsewhere
(I use paper clips all the time for electrical testing)

Alternator IS magnetized while in operation, it's operating principles include electromagnetism.

With the engine running and noise obvious, try disconnect the 4 wire plug from the alternator and see if noise subsides.
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
(^Copied from imigur link^)

With the engine running and noise obvious, try disconnect the 4 wire plug from the alternator and see if noise subsides.
Hi ezone,

Thank you for the paper clip thing

for "4 wire plug", are you referring to this:
https://imgur.com/a/xCXNG
it's one plug with 4 wire in it?

Basically unplug it so that alternator will not running, and engine will run on battery. And it's equivalent to remove the alternator belt?

is this correct steps?
1) turn off engine
2) unplug the 4 wire plug
3) start the engine and see if noise reduced.

Thanks again
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Hi NDNV,

I found this diy instruction (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-belt-diy.html), and it's pretty complicated, and it says "need to remove the valve cover"... http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...Vlocations.png

I am going to take to another shop this week, ask him to quote on the timing belt replacement, and any other component needed to replace to resolve this noise issue.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 05-02-2017

it's one plug with 4 wire in it?
Correct.

And it's equivalent to remove the alternator belt?
No. All this step does is disable charging....because some internal electronic problems can cause noises, unplugging the 4 wire connector is just to check that possibility.
The internal parts driven by the belt and pulley will still be rotating as normal while the engine is running.

is this correct steps?
1) turn off engine
2) unplug the 4 wire plug
3) start the engine and see if noise reduced.
I'd unplug it while the engine is running.
Note if noise goes away.
Reconnect plug.

Assuming no change was noticed,
Next I would remove the belt from the alternator and AC compressor, and recheck for the noise.