Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic EX hard to start cold.

Old 10-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cjohn812 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic EX hard to start cold.

I am sure this has been talked about several times on here, but I wanted to explain my situation in hopes to fix this problem ASAP. About a month ago I had several codes pop up on my 2001 Honda Civic EX with 130,000 miles. A cylinder 1 misfire, the upstream O2 sensor was bad, and a TDC sensor was intermittent / failing. I replaced then spark plugs which it definitely needed. I also took the timing cover off and replaced the TDC sensor (camshaft position sensor) and valve cover gasket. I also replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. I still need to replace the O2 sensor but since then, the Civic has started and ran like a champ. No CEL, no codes.

About 2 days ago, it started getting colder in the mornings. I went to start the car and it was sluggish like the battery was drained. I tried to jump it, still nothing. I cleaned the terminals and cranked it a few more times and it finally fired, sputtered for a few seconds like the timing was off, then idled smooth and ran great. The rest of the day the car started several more times and drove great. It even sat at work for 8 hours and started fine that afternoon. Next morning, same thing (wouldn’t start)...after cranking a few times...letting it sit for 2 minutes...then cranking again it fired, sputtered and idled smooth once I gave it gas. I had to give it gas to get it to start. The car once again was drove 4 or 5 times today with no rough idling or hesitation. The CEL has NOT come on either time. Still no CEL light. I am thinking a few things here. The first is my greatest fear...a blown head gasket. There is no white smoke or mixing of fluids though. The other is a faulty TDC senor was installed or maybe the crankshaft sensor may be going bad. I am a novice when it comes to Civics so excuse my ignorance. I am in need of advice and help. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-23-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Honda Civic EX hard to start cold.

Is the radiator low?
Is the coolant reservoir overfull?
Old 10-24-2013
Registered!!

The reservoir is at the max level...the radiator took a little fluid, but wasn't empty.
Old 10-24-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You said it sputters for a little bit on the first start, I was thinking it might be getting antifreeze in a cylinder after sitting overnight.

I'd probably just do my standard head gasket check and see if it reveals anything.
Old 10-24-2013
Registered!!

I will. It has been firing up the past few mornings, no problem. The temp has been about the same outside. I really appreciate your help ...I will do the head gasket leak test. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-24-2013

Originally Posted by Cjohn812
..I will do the head gasket leak test. Fingers crossed.
Here's a few links to posts I've made.

Check this whole thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4649516

A post https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...570-post6.html

Another post https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...54-post10.html

see the video in this post here: Is this Idle behavior normal? Vid included, Redid Thtle Body Clean and Worse Now!
Old 05-03-2017
Registered!!

wpendl1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. CJohn812 are you still around? What ended up being the issue? Did you get it resolved?